Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #1 
Gralius

Natural aquariums - question?

Hi. I'm looking this forum an other U.S. forums and I don't understand why people in U.S. (I'm from Europe) don't like to use in tanks live plants, wood and rock? Why are you using so many plastic and artificial materials? There are so many hardy plants that needs little maintenance (like anubias, that one would survive nuclear assault ). It's funny to me when I see topic on forum "Aquarium with LIVE plants". It reminds me at old 50's movies when there was big sign "IN COLOR". Is it such a rare thing to have natural looking tank in U.S.
I'm not trying to criticize anyone, I'm just trying to understand.
Take a look at this two videos. The first one is very simple, low-tech beta tank. It's easy like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcZMU...layer_embedded

The second one is very beautiful hi-tech beta tank (read a comment under neath).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ith_L-cwmBY

Try it and enjoy it.
Gralius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #2 
FloridaBettas239

Very good question i have asked myself the same thing, And the other thing is for the price 3 fake plastic plants i can buy a whole bundle of live real plants I have a whole planted tank full of java fern, java moss, anubias and moss balls with a grow light and everything grows and spreads out so fast then when i want to breed i pull some plants out and place them in the breeding tank. nothing ever dies and the plastic plants can tear fin's so thats another down fall. But im serious look at the price for fake and real plants it's so close to being the same price why not just buy the real thing.
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #3 
Welsh

I have live plants but my tanks never look as good as what I see on the net, nor do they spread out either lol. I love the second tank in your links that is gorgeous :)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #4 
FloridaBettas239

Taking care of aquatic plant's can be as expensive and hard as taking care of fish. You can buy a really nice grow light but if you dont have enough co2 then they wont really grow it will be just like you have a regular aquarium light and you can pump co2 and fertalizer into the tank but if you only have a regular light then nothing will really grow.but put all three in a tank with 6 watts per gallon and boom you have the rain forest.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #5 
SemioticSleep

I use real plants like bamboo. But maybe the real reason ppl don't use plants is because they use salt in their tanks. Today I had to take all my plants out of my tanks cause I'm using salt. If I had a silk plant I wouldn't have too. Also my bamboo makes the waters surface slimy also another reason why people don't use plants. It's odd that you would point that out cause many fish keepers know that real plants are beautiful as they are effective!
SemioticSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #6 
vaygirl

I have all live plants and driftwood in mine. I just like it that way. I did all fake stuff when I was younger. The thing is, a lot of chain pet stores in the US don't carry live plants. Or they only carry terrarium plants. If I weren't a grown up who can order her plants online, I'd be stuck with silk. And a lot of our members on this particular forum are younger.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

More natural live planted tanks in the USA have started to catch on over the past 5 or so years IMO. I think a lot of it come from people thinking that planted tanks are harder and more expensive than they really are and true enough that the high tech set-ups with CO2 and high light plants and light can get costly.

I keep nothing but the low tech planted tanks with soil/dirt substrate and I don't have any problems with them except for the massive plant growth that needs a trim every week...so not really a problem...lol....

Lights are the big thing people can get confused about and what will turn some off IMO and without proper light you can get poor growth

Plants are another confusing point to some IMO and the pet shops are not much help when they sell non-aquatic plants as aquatic plants, this discourages the hobbyist because the plants die after a while.

And then come the confusion that you have to have special lights and CO2 to keep a planted tanks that grow and thrive...and you don't, if you use the right plants to start with- the correct lights and know the limits/needs of the plants.

Planted tanks are beautiful and everyone should give them a try...at least once with all the proper stuff and information to increase chances of success......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #8 
nacho

The video makes it look very easy.

I keep a planted aquarium, but it is definitely much more work than if I had artificial plants. To keep my plants very healthy, I add fertilizer. When the leaves fall off, I have to make sure to suck them up during water changes. I have to keep the lights on a specific duration.

These are three personal reasons why I believe fewer people attempt to keep planted aquariums. People have to keep more living things alive, and that just means there's quite a bit of extra care, energy, and money that goes into living aquariums.
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #9 
FloridaBettas239

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemioticSleep View Post
I use real plants like bamboo. But maybe the real reason ppl don't use plants is because they use salt in their tanks. Today I had to take all my plants out of my tanks cause I'm using salt. If I had a silk plant I wouldn't have too. Also my bamboo makes the waters surface slimy also another reason why people don't use plants. It's odd that you would point that out cause many fish keepers know that real plants are beautiful as they are effective!

Bamboo is not a ture aquatic plant thats why your water gets slimy.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #10 
sjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gralius View Post
Hi. I'm looking this forum an other U.S. forums and I don't understand why people in U.S. (I'm from Europe) don't like to use in tanks live plants, wood and rock? Why are you using so many plastic and artificial materials? There are so many hardy plants that needs little maintenance (like anubias, that one would survive nuclear assault ). It's funny to me when I see topic on forum "Aquarium with LIVE plants". It reminds me at old 50's movies when there was big sign "IN COLOR". Is it such a rare thing to have natural looking tank in U.S.
I'm not trying to criticize anyone, I'm just trying to understand.
Take a look at this two videos. The first one is very simple, low-tech beta tank. It's easy like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcZMU...layer_embedded

The second one is very beautiful hi-tech beta tank (read a comment under neath).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ith_L-cwmBY

Try it and enjoy it.
Seriously?
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote