Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2010, 01:31 AM   #41 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogipoi View Post
I won't breed till I feel like I learned every thing.
Everyone has his/her own method. And since people from non four season areas (like me) can join this forum, you will get even more methods. Just get the basics and memorize them: water quality, betta type, breeding goal, feeding fry, etc.

IMO; the best way to learn is to experience it. You will never know what works for you until you actually breed. So go for it!
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #42 
frogipoi

My mom doesn't want baby bettas and I want to know more. I feel like all the fishies will die because of me. I need to learn, ...
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #43 
bearwithfish

ok relax as we are talking about a potential hundred or more fry i think your mom has a good point about not breeding at this time.. but just think this gives you a lot of time to
research
plan
save money
get what you need
and gain experience with keeping fish first
these are all very very important steps and since you have some one in your life that can help keep you on track (not impulse attempts) you will be much better for it when the time comes....
so now enough of the why nots and oh i am so sad (said with a smile)
and back to researching and gathering information.....
so any breeders out there have experience with using tea leaves? i personally have not used them and hear they are wonderful. why? what do you do? what benefits are there? fill us in
bearwithfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #44 
frogipoi

Thanks. I would use Indian Almond leaves cause they say they make the water a brown tint and make it more natural for the bettas so... Natural = Brighter color, less stress and a happy betta.
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:19 AM   #45 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearwithfish View Post
ok
so any breeders out there have experience with using tea leaves? i personally have not used them and hear they are wonderful. why? what do you do? what benefits are there? fill us in
I don't know the chemistry of IAL, so you could go to Bettysplendens and read the Betta Health & Care section.

IMO, it all comes down to water quality. If your water source is suitable for bettas and you keep its quality in good condition, you don't really need IAL.
I don't use IAL for breeding unless the fry are showing problems (not eating, tail closed, etc).
Actually other leaves can be used as well (here, some fruit leaves and other plants). They aren't as effective as IAL but they serve the same purpose, brighter colors and happier betta.

Here, people use it in different ways. Some just place the leaves in the tank (a bit dirty), while others would make a thick solution then cup it into the fish tank. Some would even use hot water to make the solution (I don't do this because I don't want to change its chemistry).
In all cases, you don't need to make the water dark brown. You only want a yellow brown color. The amount of leaves to be used depends on the age of the leaves. Older leaves (darker color) are best. About 1/4 of a leaf is more than enough for a 1.25g of water.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #46 
FloridaBettas239

I will alway use IAL on my spawns and I will tell you why, A spawn if very stressful on the fish andd sometimes fish die. So i want to make it as easy as possible on my fish when they spawn. And Indian almond leaves does this when you mix up some of that black water extract and put it in there. His bubbles are so sticky you can blow on them and they wont pop, my spawns without IAL the bubbles will pop real slow which the male is wroking his but off trying to keep the fry in the nest and make bubbles. But with IAL it is awesome, That and filling the tank up half way so that they dont have to swim so far and so much up and down its just right there...
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote