Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #1 
kakashikage

Exclamation Ammonia problems!

Ok, I have a one-gallon tank and I've been doing daily 50% water changes trying to get the ammonia levels down. However, it seemed like so matter how often or how much I change the water it just sits at 1.0 ppm. I'm using an API test kit (liquid, not strips). I heard about someone having a problem with ammonia in the tap water, so I decided to test mine, and sure enough, there it is! I tested both conditioned and unconditioned tap water and both showed 1.0 ppm ammonia. I was beginning to think the test kit didn't work, but I decided to test a bottle of water I had laying around, and it came up 0 ppm, so the test must work. However, this leaves me in a bit of a pickle, because if the tap water has ammonia then doing water changes isn't getting me anywhere. I don't know what to do now, because I've heard you should not use bottled water since it is missing a lot of important nutrients. Is there some kind of water I can use that won't have ammonia already in it???
kakashikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #2 
KBoone

I use my tap water now and my fish seem to love it. Before though I would always use bottled water. NOT distilled water though. Always try that. Though it's really only feasable if you have a smaller tank.
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #3 
FloridaBettas239

they have water conditioner that remove's ammonia from tap water. I dont no what kind your using but, I use API and it work's great.
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:10 AM   #4 
KBoone

Yes. Amquel and Novaqua I hear are good too.
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #5 
kakashikage

Thanks so much! Ok, I'm going to Petsmart right now to see if I can find conditioner that removes the ammonia.
(I've been using API's Stress Coat conditioner, but it doesn't remove ammonia...)
Old 07-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #6 
FloridaBettas239

But when you add the conditioner, you only add to the new water your putting in. So if i had a 5 gallon tank with ammonia problem's, and i was going a 2 gallon water change. I would not add 5 gallons worth of conditioner, I would just add 2 gallons worth of conditioner. Your only treating the water your putting in, your not treating the water already in the tank...
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #7 
kakashikage

Yeah, I know that. He's in a small tank right now so I usually do a 50% water change every other day anyway.
Also, I just got back from Petsmart and they have the API Stress Coat plus, which removes ammonia...the one I have is not the "plus" - I guess that's what I get for buying it at Walmart!
Old 07-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #8 
Lion Mom

For future reference, Prime is also an EXCELLENT product, IMO! It neutralizes ammonia and is VERY economical - uses just TWO drops per gal.!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:35 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I second the Prime recommendation.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote