Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #1 
Amour

Oh No! My Betta Tore His Fins. How Do I Prevent Fin Rot?

Ugh.. I feel so silly for letting this happen, but my betta tore his fins a little on the plastic plants we have in the tank. We took them out immediately and am going to get him silk ones today.

But my question is, how do we make sure he doesn't get Fin Rot? And also, will his fins heal back and how long will they take? Thanks!
Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Keeping the water clean is the best way to prevent finrot.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

One of my guys tore his fin a couple of weeks ago and it practically healed overnight with the advise I got off this site.

Here's what I did:
Do a 100% water change and add aquarium salt to the water (1tsp per galon), of course make sure to disolve it before you put it in the tank.
The use the same treatment making 50% water changes everyday for 10 days.

My little guy's fin healed almost completely, just a small tear remains at the very end but no fin rot so far.

If you have him in a tank with other fish, it's better to move him into a hospital tank.

Good luck!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #4 
Amour

Oh my gosh I always keep aquarium salt in my tank for him and you're right! It healed almost completely over night! He had a pretty big tear too. I thought it was just because he's in good water and he's healthy. But I guess the aquarium salt helped too! Hehe.
Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:10 AM   #5 
dipsydoodlenoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
One of my guys tore his fin a couple of weeks ago and it practically healed overnight with the advise I got off this site.

Here's what I did:
Do a 100% water change and add aquarium salt to the water (1tsp per galon), of course make sure to disolve it before you put it in the tank.
The use the same treatment making 50% water changes everyday for 10 days.

My little guy's fin healed almost completely, just a small tear remains at the very end but no fin rot so far.

If you have him in a tank with other fish, it's better to move him into a hospital tank.

Good luck!

I have the same problem. I'll be following this treatment when I get in :); although I think blood worms in garlic juice are a first as a treat :)
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #6 
vilmarisv

Yay!
I'm so glad it helped! Those little buggers heal quickly when they have clean water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipsydoodlenoodle View Post
I have the same problem. I'll be following this treatment when I get in :); although I think blood worms in garlic juice are a first as a treat :)
Oh! I guess I forgot to write that feeding high protein food helps too :D
Frozen bloodworms is all my fish eat
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:14 AM   #7 
dipsydoodlenoodle

I feed him pellets and every 3rd day give him blood worms; I'll be soaking his pellets in garlic too.

Did a 100% water change yesterday and a proper clean out; his fins didn't look worse today; they looked a slight bit better but I wouldn't like to comment so far :(
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #8 
XSprinkleFaceX

Have to try this treatment out as soon as I get AS. Finn tore his fin on a stupid plant that seemed harmless...evil plant >__>. Gonna get silkys today :)
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #9 
XSprinkleFaceX

Wow, thats amazing. I did the 100% WC yesterday with the AS, and today his fin is half healed. :)
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #10 
BlueHaven

I have this problem too. I have a plastic plant in my bettas tank and he was okay with it, but today I noticed he got a tear in his fin somehow last night.
I'm going to get a new (silk or live) plant on saturday.The weird thing is that I decided to put aquarium salt (half of what the measurement was for 2.5 gallons) yesterday to see if it would help keep him healthy. I did this when I did a small water change for the week and I put the salt (API) directly in the tank instead of putting it in the water I added first. This wouldn't cause a problem would it? He is happy and seems just fine otherwise. Also, I thought it was bad to change 100 percent of the aquarium water if the water is healthy? I'm afraid it might mess up the filter.
If it is a good idea to follow what you guys did to help my betta get better, please let me know? :)
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote