Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2010, 10:38 PM   #1 
thunderwaved

What kind of filter for a divided Betta tank?

I might have asked that in my previous thread, but I need more clarification.

So I'm building this 30 Gal divided tank with 4 sections, and I'm wondering what kind of filter I would need.

Dimensions: 36 x 13 x 13.

Sponge, Hang On, or External Canister.

The dividers WILL have holes in them to encourage water flow.

Sponge Filter

I like the sponge filter, but I'm afraid that it will not keep my water clean. If I do get the sponge, I'm going to put one on each side's.

What's also keeping me from choosing this method is the lack of mechanical and chemical filtration I've heard.

"x" is where the sponge filters are going to be.

Hang On Filter

This is another one I've thought of.

There will be two hang on filters on both side's.

If I choose this method, I'll buy two of these.

"x" is where the hang on filters will be.

External Canister

The last method I might choose is the external canister filter. Its the most expensive . Plus, I'm afraid that it might cause a current too strong for my fish and not clean the tank equally.

I'm looking at the "EHEIM Classic External Canister" which can filter up to 66 Gal.

"o" is the output pipe.
"x" is the input pipe.

Thanks, if anyone can provide an answer to the best filter, better solution or a better product than the one I've mentioned please do. Better filter = happy fishies.

Last edited by thunderwaved; 07-21-2010 at 10:41 PM.
thunderwaved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:45 AM   #2 
thunderwaved

Bump
Old 07-22-2010, 05:05 AM   #3 
FloridaBettas239

I have had acrylic dividers and real aquarium dividers. I used a 10-20 hang on filter. But the section it was in was to strong and the other 3 sections got nasty film on top of the water.
I also put a 3 gallon hang on at both end sections. This did ok but the 2 middle sections still got the slime on top.

The last set up I use was a sponge filter at each end. This work the best, because the sponge filters bubble at the waters surface and don't let that film build up.
Plus sponge filters trap smaller particals than hang on filters. And once a sponge filter get the good bacteria growing in it. You never have to replace anything or buy filter refills.

Plus I am dealing with a bunch of really nice halfmoons so the sponge filters are best. I can switch them around use one for a fry tank, or if another filter goes out on my 20 gallon cummunity tank. I just drop a sponge filter in it, and I'm good.

It's like most pet stores don't sell sponge filters because they want you to come back, they want you to have to buy refills for the filters so they don't carry sponge filter. I only can get them at this family owned store in my town..
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #4 
thunderwaved

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBettas239 View Post
I have had acrylic dividers and real aquarium dividers. I used a 10-20 hang on filter. But the section it was in was to strong and the other 3 sections got nasty film on top of the water.
I also put a 3 gallon hang on at both end sections. This did ok but the 2 middle sections still got the slime on top.

The last set up I use was a sponge filter at each end. This work the best, because the sponge filters bubble at the waters surface and don't let that film build up.
Plus sponge filters trap smaller particals than hang on filters. And once a sponge filter get the good bacteria growing in it. You never have to replace anything or buy filter refills.

Plus I am dealing with a bunch of really nice halfmoons so the sponge filters are best. I can switch them around use one for a fry tank, or if another filter goes out on my 20 gallon cummunity tank. I just drop a sponge filter in it, and I'm good.

It's like most pet stores don't sell sponge filters because they want you to come back, they want you to have to buy refills for the filters so they don't carry sponge filter. I only can get them at this family owned store in my town..
Thanks.

Yeah, I went to two petstores yesterday (petco and petsmart) and they only had a sponge filter powerhead which was overpriced.

Petstores these days....