Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #1 
bettalove23

Question what can I put in with my king betta?

Hi everyone,

A couple of days ago I discovered a huge crack in my 10 G tank that was just too large to fix so I moved my king betta into a temp 1 G since it was the only spare bowl I could find.

I was planning on getting another 10 G and splitting that into 2 so that I could house another king betta that i planned on getting soon.

I was wondering what tank companions would go well with my king?
I don't want any other fish....I was thinking more along the lines of shrimp or perhaps a frog?
No snails please.
and I was wondering if you guys would care to inform me about shrimp or frogs. thanks.
bettalove23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #2 
shinybetta

You could get a ghost shrimp or african dwarf frog. The king betta might eat the ghost shrimp so be careful, but you might want to try a ghost shrimp because they are cheap. To feed a ghost shrimp just sink down a pellet 2 times a week and they should be good. Ghost shrimps are exellent bottom cleaners. ADF's (African dwarf frogs) are also good choices but should be kept in groups of three or more or else they get lazy. You could feed them frozen bloodworms. Hope this Helps
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #3 
Welsh

Your average betta would most likely eat the shrimp and take a nip out of the frogs so I can only imagine what a king betta could do lol

I have posted many a time that I would not keep bettas with shrimp mainly because I am too nervous that he will eat them, ghost shrimp I hear are known to be aggressive so a few hiding places would probably be best and also what shinybetta said about sinking some pellets down for them to feed. ADF's when I first started with bettas a few months back I was looking at potential tankmates and read a few times that bettas are known to attack these and rip off limbs etc so that put me off them lol

What you do is up to you though :) you could try a few cheap shrimp to see how they all get along :)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:51 AM   #4 
Xolaris

Ghost Shrimp are good tank mates. I had a few ghost shrimp with my king betta and nothing happened. He just looked at them and swam away.
Xolaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:04 PM   #5 
Amour

What exactly is a King Betta? I tried looking it up but the answer was "No one knows".

Also, it really depends on the betta. I know my male crown tail wouldn't hurt a fly. But my female veil tail is really aggressive. I had to move my apple snail from her tank to my male's because she was eating on him.

The only thing I can keep in with my female is a fiddler crab because nobody messes with him.
Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:39 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

A King Betta is another name for a half-giant betta. The term "king" is just a marketing ploy.. it sounds better than "half-giant".

Personally I would not divide the tank, Kings (being bigger than the average betta) need more room and I'm sure he would love to have a full 10 gallons to himself.

If you have to have tank mates I would go with ghost shrimp, I've never had a problem with any of my fish killing them or them hurting the fish (which I think is an urban legend anyway). The problem with shrimp is they are EXTREMELY sensitive to water conditions so a cycled tank is a must, even then they don't tend to live very long.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #7 
shinybetta

A king betta is a half giant betta and usually grow to about three inches.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:55 AM   #8 
Fishirila

A Fiddler Crab would be perfect. Just build him a platform that he can climb on to.
Fishirila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #9 
BettaBuddi1221

I would keep him solitary
BettaBuddi1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:45 PM   #10 
Fishirila

Try an African Cichild. They're good friends with Betta's!
Fishirila is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frogs, king betta, shrimp