Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #1 
vaygirl

Whiskey's eyes changed color!

Is that possible? They were PITCH black and now they're blue and white. I noticed today that most of his dark blue stripes are fading and his red in his tail completely disappeared. He's going more white. But he's got black speckles on his eyes and they turned blue and white. It's pretty but alarming I guess? Here's pics to compare... you won't believe the difference. Is there a reason for concern? :o

Here's his eyes before, no blue, no speckles over them:

And here they are today:

vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #2 
TheJadeBetta

Wow! That is so neat. I would be alarmed, as well. I don't see anything wrong with changing eye colors. But I have a question in the third photo, what is that spot that is close to his tail fin?
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #3 
vaygirl

It's a deformity or a tumor. I'm not sure which. He's a mess. He's got that growth, he ripped his ventral. Every day I'm like... okay what is it today? Now his eyes changed color.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #4 
vaygirl

You know, now that I look at it I think I understand what happened. The skin that covered his eyes was black. When you looked at his eyes before they had no depth at all. Now I guess it went clear. I think his eyes underneath were always that color. It's so neat looking. I keep staring at him. They're blue and white and sparkly. In that second new picture it looks like someone took a pen and drew a dotted line over his eye. Pretty neat!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #5 
TheJadeBetta

Probably. How long have you had him?
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #6 
kuklachica

My guys' eyes often resemble their colors (i.e. my red and silver dragon has red and silver eyes). Not all are like that, but some are. If Whiskey is a marble (if I remember correctly, from his red spots??) maybe his eyes are marbling as well?
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #7 
vaygirl

6 months? I think I got him in January. When I first brought him home he was mostly white with a greenish blue sheen. Then the dark blue 'speckles' started showing up here and there. Then the red appeared in his dorsal and his ventral. That disappeared and he started getting very dark blue streaks in his finnage. Now that's going away too and he's going back to a white/light blue. Just in the last 6 hours his beard has gone from black with a few white spots to white with a few pale black streaks. He's literally changing before my eyes. He's also hiding in a plant cause I won't stop staring at him. :P

Here's a pic with the red in his dorsal from a while back and you can see where the dark blue streaks were coming in strong and then there's a pic from tonight, where you can see they're almost gone. I don't know anything about fishy genetics or color changing. It's neat to watch though.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:16 AM   #8 
metalbetta

Tifa and Nina's eyes change colors at night. They're dark during the daytime and when they're in their "trance" at night they turn gold. It's pretty creepy honestly.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote