Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #1 
SaylorKennedy

Is your Hagen Elite Mini Internal Filter too strong?

I've got the solution and it only costs about $4. :D

So I got the Hagen Mini filter in September of last year when I got my cousin's betta on a whim. I only had him in a 1 gallon tank and needed soemthing small. Found it for $10 at Petco, and they actually come with the Marina starter kits from Petsmart as well. The first thing I noticed was it was sooooo powerful even on it's lowest setting. So I rigged up a bottle baffle and that was fine, but it looked ugly and would always fall off. I knew the filter worked because it did have gunk in it. Well I was just thinking that maybe I want to take my 2.5 gallon with me instead of my 5 so got to brainstorming how I could rig this so it wasn't too strong for Ty. I had some extra filter pads for the Red Sea Deco Art Nano filter from Petco ($4 for a bag of like 4, I think) and I cut them in half to fit inside the Elite casing. I layered them as well to help even more. I noticed that the flow was slow down a lot! I tried it out with Ty and he has no problem sitting in front of the flow, but it's still strong enough to push water around for circulation. :)
Sorry for the long story, but it's a simple easy solution.

Stuffing.

Happy fish. :)
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #2 
Welsh

Nice, I have a filter that came with my Aquabox that was so strong a shark wouldn't have been able to swim against it and as its a double prong plug I can't use it anywhere else in my house as we have 3 prong plugs :) so long story short I will be trying this :)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #3 
SaylorKennedy

Great. Hope it works!
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #4 
newfiedragon

How did you rig up a bottle baffle for it?
newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote