Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #1 
BlueHaven

I got a betta fish today along with a new aquarium

I have some questions. I know it's better to wait and let the tank cycle and set itself up before adding a fish, and that was what I wanted to do. BUT when I went to the store that's what happened.I bought an aqueon mini bow 2.5 gallon aqaurium for him and some white rocks (Top Fin small gravel) along with a Marina vibrascaper orange plant. Are these accessories going to damage my betta's fins? The plant is plastic but the edges are very round and they don't feel sharp. Are these rocks okay too?Also, the worker at the store told me I should wait a day to let the tank run by itself and add my betta fish in tomorrow (morning), it's afternoon now. They said it would be okay to keep my betta in the store container untill then. Is that okay? I'm afraid to do this because their is poo in his container and it's in blue water. I'm also afraid he might get too cold at night because the temperature gets colder then in the house. (63, it's 73-75 during the day.)I don't want him to get sick! I've already set up the tank and the filter is running. I put water conditioner in and am about to put some bacteria supplement in. The thermometer shows that the water is at 80 degrees. Please help. Oh, and how do I clean a fish net? I used it for a previous sick fish, but it's still in good condition.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #2 
Campbell

He should be fine in his cup for another night or two, and if u want you can change the water. I use 2.5 gallons, but they are unfiltered so someone else will help you with that question. And the rocks should be fine. Good luck!
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #3 
BlueHaven

Thank you very much. ^_^
Old 07-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #4 
mjbn

when you put your betta in and he is being tossed around by the filter you will have to baffle it, meaning you need to slow down the current/hinder it. Do so by getting a bottle, and cutting the middle of it so you only haeve a conplease cylinder. Then tape the side with the glue from the bottle wrapper info on the TOP of the filter, andt the other at the end of the outflow slide. The plant should be okay if you test by running it through pantyjose or toilet paper without it damaging it. I'd also put him in a bigger cup atleast until tomorrow. Atleast half a gallon just to be safe.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #5 
mjbn

complete cylinder*
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #6 
BlueHaven

Okay, cool. Thank you!
Old 07-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #7 
Adastra

You don't really have to wait 24 hours before you put the fish in if you thoroughly rinse everything out and give the filter cartridge a good cleaning. They teach that little bit to their trainees so that they sound credible to the customer--but really, as long as you rinse everything out and let the water sit long enough to allow the nitrogen bubbles to outgas before you put the fish in, you'll be fine. You will probably have to baffle the current though.

I would slowly change the water in the fish's cup. Get a new/never seen soap container, as big as you can, and fill it with room temperature water. Add dechlorinator and let it sit for about 10 minutes, stir it around to pop any nitrogen gas bubbles you see. Slowly pour out a tiny bit of the blue water in the betta's cup, and then add some fresh water. Keep doing this over the course of about an hour until the blue is totally gone.

Do you have a heater? If you do, you should let the betta float in cup in the water with the heater so that he can become adjusted to the warmer temperatures slowly. If you don't have one, you will need to get a 25 watt heater that has an adjustable temperature dial--I don't recommend the preset ones or the heater pads. If the tank has an incandescent light, it should be kept off until you can swap the bulb out for a compact fluorescent.

Last edited by Adastra; 07-17-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #8 
vilmarisv

I don't think you need to mess with the filter current.
I have 2 Aqueon Mini Bow 2.5 and after a day or two my fish got used to the current, they hid at first but they are fine now.
What I do to get my fish used to their new water is replace about 20% of the water you have in the cup with your tank water. Do this every 30-40 minutes for about 3 or 4 times, better if you wait longer.
After that, I float my cup until the water reaches the same temp as the tank and I dump my fish in his new tank.
And you need a heater!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #9 
sjones

Actually you're going to need to cycle your aquarium, it takes a month, best not to do fish in, I would get a critter keeper for the fish and do water changes unitl you get your tank properly cycled, you need a freshwater test kit as well, be sure to research how to cycle, it's been posted a million times in this forum-just search it
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #10 
BlueHaven

Okay, thank you for all the help. I was worried but i'm a bit better now that I know what to do about my post, haha :)
I don't have a heater, but i'm gonna get one tomorrow or as soon as possible, so he won't go without one.

<3