Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2010, 11:17 PM   #1 
abysssolider

Exclamation Fish might have Ick or velvet?

My fish Zack as I named him is my vey spucky fish and is always swiming in his bowl. But reasently the poor guy all he has been sitting there and well chilling and not moving at all. I have this plant in the bowl and all it looks like just a long patch of grass. Well i have notice he will like go to it and quickly bolt through the plant and do this like five times then go back to sitting there. He is crazy and all so i dont know if he is sick or just being him :/

He also eats well his water is nice and warm where it supposed to be and all that but there is no copper on him from the point of flash light or even the white spots that well are ick :/ could he have ick but not showing up ooor what?
abysssolider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:47 AM   #2 
Ajones108

Size of tank? Filtered? Heated? How long have you had the fish?
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:49 AM   #3 
abysssolider

the size is a 1 gallon bowl belive me i would get a bigger one but cant money is tight not heated my room is hot enough to have it around 73-76 degrees and ummm around a month and not filtered at all either.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #4 
Ajones108

1 gallon is okay as long as you keep up with the water changes. 100% every other day is what most people recommend. Recommended temperatures to keep a betta are between 76-82 degrees with 80 being ideal and 76 being the absolute lowest.

Are you conditioning the water?

I have my betta in a 2.5 gallon tank with a small heater and I have no issues. See the pictures on my profile. :) The tank was about $15 at PetSmart and the heater was roughly $13 online.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:32 AM   #5 
abysssolider

ugh i would heat it but i dont know where a small enough heater though to warm it :( and yeah I am i do it every time i clean his tank which is like every 3-4 days.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:38 AM   #6 
Ajones108

The only heater I really know of that can heat a tank is only suitable for 2 gallon or higher. >.< Any lower and it'll fry the fish.

He probably just darts around a lot because he's bored. As long as it's not injuring him I don't see too big of a problem. Do you have anywhere for him to hide in the tank?

Edit: And every 3-4 days might not be enough for a 1 gallon. The ammonia builds up in the tank and can burn the fish, including the sensitive gills. If your tank is constantly below 76 degrees and you've had the fish for a month, then he's probably just slowing down because he's cold and his metabolism is slow. What kind of food are you feeding him?

Last edited by Ajones108; 07-23-2010 at 01:46 AM. Reason: forgot some details
Old 07-23-2010, 01:45 AM   #7 
abysssolider

no not as of yet i will soon though
Old 07-23-2010, 01:50 AM   #8 
Ajones108

As I edited in my last message, but knew you probably wouldn't see:

Every 3-4 days might not be enough for a 1 gallon. The ammonia builds up in the tank and can burn the fish, including the sensitive gills. If your tank is constantly below 76 degrees and you've had the fish for a month, then he's probably just slowing down because he's cold and his metabolism is slow. What kind of food are you feeding him?
Old 07-23-2010, 01:53 AM   #9 
abysssolider

oh umm pellets and the occational blood worm and i feed him 3 pellets in the morning and at night. and i fast him on sat.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:53 AM   #10 
Ajones108

Hmm. I don't see the darting as too much of an issue, sometimes my little fish will do it and go straight into his gravel. I told myself if he does it much more I'm just replacing the gravel with something like sand. The tank is a little too cold for him, and he might be bored since he IS in a 1 gal tank with just a little plant. I recommend upgrading to a 2.5 gallon and adding in a heater, if you do decide to upgrade I can recommend you the one I use.

But otherwise, I'm pretty stumped. New to the betta world myself, I can only narrow down things by the living arrangement of the fish. Someone more experienced like OldFishLady or Lion Mom could offer you more advice, but otherwise, I don't see it as something a problem unless physical signs of Ich or Velvet show up. More people will be around in the morning and posting so I'd keep an eye out. :)