Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2010, 03:08 AM   #1 
Dead Sunlight

Question Are bettas salt-tolerant fish?

I hope so because I'm probably going to be using salt everyday twice a day for at least a month!!!
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #2 
Dead Sunlight

help?!
Old 07-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #3 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead sunlight View Post
i hope so because i'm probably going to be using salt everyday twice a day for at least a month!!!
i have 5 bettas for 2 y. Whan i chancge water i usually put amquel plus drops to remove ammonia and chlorine and aquarium salt ,and i let water stay 24 hrs.i add less than instructions recomendations.i read that aquarium salt prevent disease.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Yes, Bettas are salt tolerant, however, long term use can cause kidney problems.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #5 
Adastra

Bettas are much more tolerant of salt compared to some other fish, such as neon tetras, for instance. However, they come from a part of the world that does not naturally have a lot of electrolytes (salt) in the water--so the extra salt does place more stress on their internal organs since they were not made to process it. Personally, I would not add salt unless there was a medical need, such as fin damage or open wounds.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #6 
Dead Sunlight

I was just wondering if about 10 days twice a day a teaspoon per gal. would be safe because I'm treating Roger Taylor for Fin Rot and my boys for fin damage.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

For treatments-I like to pre-mix aquarium salt 1tsp/gal in a clean 1g jug of fresh dechlorinated water and use this for my daily 100% water changes for 10 days. I keep the Betta in this salinity level for the duration of the treatment.

For salt baths/dip I use a much stronger dosage of salt (1/2c salt/1g water) for only 3-20 minutes or when the fish rolls over (depending on what I am treating) (usually a last resort when everything else has failed), however, bath/dip in high levels of salt can be stressful and/or kill the fish IME.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead sunlight View Post
i was just wondering if about 10 days twice a day a teaspoon per gal. Would be safe because i'm treating roger taylor for fin rot and my boys for fin damage.
my fish had fin rot about 1 year ago
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #9 
Amour

I use a 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of Aquarium Salt for my bettas with every water change. But I wouldn't recommend putting it in their water twice a day every day. They just need a little for good gill function and electrolytes.
Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:04 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

Like others have said, prolonged use of salt is bad for Bettas, they can't handle it. Salting tanks regularly is a bad idea, eventually it will lead to problems. Not to mention that if you ever do really need salt you'll have to use a higher dose because the fish will have already in salt, making the treatment much more dangerous.

Here is some excellent info on the effects of prolonged use of salt..
http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/koipond/salting_fish.html
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote