Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #1 
chrisbdaemon

new fish bowl, new fish, not cycled

Hello,

I just bought a small fishbowl (around 1g), some gravel and a little plastic bridge for decoration and when the water got cloudy I got worried.

I already bought my beautiful new crowntail betta and put it in the tank, it wasn't doing much which I'm assuming is because it needs to get used to its new environment but once I found out about cycling I'm getting really worried now.

I don't have any live plants or filters in the bowl and I'm worried that the fish may die during the cycling since I had no idea about it (I even researched as much as I could but didn't find anything about it). Will my new fish survive and is there anything I can do to make it go faster and keep him safe?
chrisbdaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #2 
Alexanderismylife

I do think that your tank only cycles if you have a filter? Please correct me if I'm wrong though! With a tank as small as 1 Gallon I do think you have to do daily water changes...That could be why the bowl is so cloudy. When is the last time you cleaned it out? You may want to upgrade your betta to a 2 gallon because bettas are tropical fish and need a tank temp that is around 78-82 degrees. That may be why he's not being quite as active. How long have you had him? Also welcome to the forum!
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #3 
Welsh

Did you wash the gravel thoroughly before you put it into the bowl? this could be the reason for the clouding

Since you don't have a filter the bowl isn't going to cycle, with something this small 100% daily water changes are required or every other if you want to push it :)

Have you de-chlorinated the water in the bowl?
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:38 PM   #4 
chrisbdaemon

I did wash the gravel and dechlorinate the water. I read elsewhere that Betta can live in fairly small bowls (1-1.5 gallons) but just might not be as happy as it would be in a large tank.

I'm a college student and I can't afford a big fish tank, I just got this one with some birthday money I receieved a few days ago. I just bought all this stuff about 1day or so ago.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #5 
TheJadeBetta

What are you feeding him? And how much are feeding him?
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #6 
Welsh

You are right, they do thrive better in larger heated tanks which does mean they are happier :)
Just keep changing his water 100% daily or every other with de-chlorinated water and he will be fine :)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Since you don't have a filter you will not get a true cycle and in a 1g bowl IMO it is a non-issue in a sense due to the number of water changes that need to be made to maintain water quality.

IMO/E-in a 1g bowl without filtration or live plants it needs 100% water changes every-other day-provided that you don't overfeed and any uneaten food is removed after feeding.

When making water changes try to keep the new and old water within a couple of degree of each other so not to cause temp related issues and if on city water supply make sure and use dechlorinator with any new water.

What is the water temp? you need to try and keep it in the 76-78F range.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...looking forward to pics and hearing more about him.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #8 
Jayy

I agree with everyone. I see you wrote that your in college and can't afford a bigger tank, but you can go a petco (if you have one) and get a 2.5 gal for $11 or $12 bucks. You can also get a 2-5 heater at Wal-mart for $15-$20 bucks. Belive it or not thats kinda cheap for that type of heater.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #9 
chrisbdaemon

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies. I am feeding him betta pellets, only fed him twice so far, once last night and once this morning about 4 pellets and he would eat it then spit them back out but ate them eventually.

Would getting a live plant help keep the water clear for longer? What kind of plant should I get?

Daily water changes seem like quite a bit of effort, what size tank would I need to get to only have to do changes weekly or even bi-weekly?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #10 
pompeaches

I got my betta a couple of weeks ago and Petco is having a sale, 10 gallon tank for 10$. my betta absolutely loves it!

there are a bunch of postings about it, but with a ten gallon (which really isnt that big) you can do 50% changes everyother day, and 100% once a week.

i know how you feel, lol, im in college too and cant afford anything. the start up costs might be a bit much, but after that its super cheap.

i hope this helps!
pompeaches is offline   Reply With Quote