Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #1 
JosShavaughn

Give Me the Basics

I owned like 2 beta's when I was a little kid, and now that I'm 24, I have no idea how to take care of them.

I just bought a tri-color beta at petsense for $4. I bought him a little square "bowl" (it's not a true fish bowl, but I liked it) some pink and black rocks and some pellets.

How do I get Zombie(my new fishie) into the dish w/o killing him and w/o buying anything to put in the water. How do I get him from the cup into plain room temp. tap water w/o killing him?

I cannot afford to buy any special drops for the water right now, so he's going to have to deal w/ very cheap living conditions until I get some more money. At least he has a cool name and some cute rocks!
JosShavaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #2 
Alexanderismylife

Well there is really no way for the water to be safe for your betta without useing water conditioners. If you have water bottles you can leave them out at room tempature and then add it to the bowl. Then so your betta adjusts to the tempature change float his cup in the bowl for 30 minutes then realease him. How many gallons is the bowl? If they are around 1 gallon then you will have to do water changes every other day to keep your betta healthy. Depending on how warm it is where you live...Your betta should probably have a heater...They need their water tempature between 78-82 degrees. Colder water can lead to many issues with your betta..Oh and Welcome to the forum! =]
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #3 
Adastra

Unfortunately keeping bettas is not cheap, even though the fish itself may be inexpensive. If you cannot afford to house the fish or buy dechlorinator for it, the only recommendation I can make is to return the fish.

To properly house a betta you need: A container of at least 2 gallons (this can be a rubbermaid/sterilite plastic storage bin, 2 gallon ones are only about $3 at walmart/target), a 25watt adjustable heater (about $25 at a pet store, $15 online), you need dechlorinator (Prime brand is $20 in pet store, $11 online), and food. If you cannot provide this to your fish, I'm sorry, but you should return it now. These are the bare minimum supplies.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #4 
vaygirl

I agree with Adastra. What she listed is the bare minimum. Take the fish back and get one when you're able to take care of it. It'll be better for the fish and easier on you. Do some research, get some money together and then bring home a new fishy later on down the line.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:45 PM   #5 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosShavaughn View Post
I owned like 2 beta's when I was a little kid, and now that I'm 24, I have no idea how to take care of them.

I just bought a tri-color beta at petsense for $4. I bought him a little square "bowl" (it's not a true fish bowl, but I liked it) some pink and black rocks and some pellets.

How do I get Zombie(my new fishie) into the dish w/o killing him and w/o buying anything to put in the water. How do I get him from the cup into plain room temp. tap water w/o killing him?

I cannot afford to buy any special drops for the water right now, so he's going to have to deal w/ very cheap living conditions until I get some more money. At least he has a cool name and some cute rocks!
if you put him in the top water without drops he will die. you can use spring water ,not purefiy water though than u don't need drops.

also i am not sure but i think if you let water stay 2 days ammonia evaporate and u can use the water.

also if u would live in philadelphia pa neer to me i would give u drops i leave in ne phila BUSTLETON AND GRAND are u near by

also i use ''amquel + plus '' to remove ammonia they are like $3 or 4
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #6 
Adastra

Chlorine (not ammonia) can evaporate, but chloramines, heavy metals, and other additives, sometimes including ammonia, will not be removed. Bottled water varies widely in the additives used, as well as the mineral content--tap water with dechlorinator is the cheapest and often best option.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #7 
JosShavaughn

Well okay. I knew this was coming from you die-hard betta people. But I'm in Texas, it's like 100 degree's here, heat wise he will be fine until I can get him a heat source next month. Also, I will be able to buy him a proper home and special drops next month. I think he'll be fine until then.

I'm keeping my fish. That's not debateable. I'm extremely lonely. I just moved to a town 5 hours away from my parents and I have almost no friends. I want another life in my apartment with me. A small life, a not so human life. lol.

But yeah, he can survive until next month.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:11 PM   #8 
Ajones108

He won't survive in untreated water until next month. He'll die from the heavy metals in the water. God, at least buy a $4 bottle of water conditioner from PetSmart or something.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Unless you are on well water soon "Zombie" may need to be re-named "Dead".....
Do you have or have access to any well water?

As others have posted you will need some type of dechlorinator to make the water fish safe. Even use of bottled water can be a risk because often it is just filtered tap water that can contain chlorine and chloramines and this cost money...plus in the size container you have will need daily to every-other day 100% water changes to maintain water quality to prevent health and fin issues.....more money to treat.....cheaper to prevent these issues to start.......

Please do the right thing........
Invest in a dechlorinator today or take the Betta back.......
Once you have the money and the needed supplies, go and buy a Betta......
This is a wonderful hobby and a awesome species to keep.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #10 
JosShavaughn

I am using distilled water, and fine, I'll go buy some dechlorinator! Zombie is really turning out to bleed my almost empty wallet. This da mn fish better last a long time!