Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Save your money on the distilled water, its not good for him........

Just get the dechlorinator....
Rinse everything good, add the tap water and dechlorinator to the new container, make sure the water temp is pretty close in temp between the new tank water and the holding container water so not to cause any temp related problems.
Dump some of the water from the holding container and add a small amount of the new tank water over about 10-15 minutes, net the fish and add him to the new tank, don't add any of the water from the fish shop to the new tank water.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #12 
XSprinkleFaceX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosShavaughn View Post
I am using distilled water, and fine, I'll go buy some dechlorinator! Zombie is really turning out to bleed my almost empty wallet. This da mn fish better last a long time!
If you keep treating it the way you did before he won't last a long time. Sorry man just being honest. If you want it to last long than you need to treat it properly. It may cost alot when you first buy it due to the accesories but after that it'll only cost the max. of 10$ a month.
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #13 
JosShavaughn

So I went back to the pet store. And I'm not sure I should keep listening to ya'll. The girl said distilled water is fine, the drops are necessary if I'm using distilled water.

I went ahead and got the drops. So enough w/ that discussion.

Zombie's new home isn't even 1g. I got him what I could afford. Like I said, next month I will get him a proper home. I'm thinking a 5g tank. Maybe some decorations. As for the heater, it's Texas. He'll be fine for at least a month w/o a heater.
JosShavaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #14 
XSprinkleFaceX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosShavaughn View Post
So I went back to the pet store. And I'm not sure I should keep listening to ya'll. The girl said distilled water is fine, the drops are necessary if I'm using distilled water.

I went ahead and got the drops. So enough w/ that discussion.

Zombie's new home isn't even 1g. I got him what I could afford. Like I said, next month I will get him a proper home. I'm thinking a 5g tank. Maybe some decorations. As for the heater, it's Texas. He'll be fine for at least a month w/o a heater.
Buddy, pet store people know NOTHING. Trust me. Your talking bout the people that say bettas can perminantly live in not even 1/2G montages that you can hang on the wall and all you need to do is make a 50% water change every week. OK. We'll see how long the fish lasts.

As for the tank. It should do for now until you get a new tank.

But the drops were needed unless you want your fish to die soon which is technically a waste of money. Bottled water doesn't supply the fish with certain nutrients that tap water does. That is why you'd want to use the tap water+dechlorinater. :)

Don't take what the people on here are saying offensive. We just want you and your fish to have a happy healthy long life together.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:08 PM   #15 
JosShavaughn

Here's some pictures of Zombie.

#1: Zombie adjusting to the temp. of his new water.

#2: Zombie in his new home, his profile. (I looked through the tail and color thread and I believe he is a multicolored veil betta)

#3: Another one of him in his new home. It's an efficiency apartment really.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #16 
XSprinkleFaceX

Cute fish btw :)
Old 07-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

I see why you got him...he is a good-lookin fella......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #18 
JosShavaughn

Thank you. I actually don't know if he's a boy or a girl. They didn't have him labeled like some stores do. How can I tell? Even if it's a girl, I'll keep the name Zombie. He's named after Rob Zombie if anyone wondered.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #19 
Adastra

He is cute. :) I can see why you couldn't pass him up. Bettas exhibit sexual dimorphism, that means the male looks very different from the female--veil tail males (like yours) typically have very long fins and a different body shape. Yours is very obviously a boy. :)

We are just telling you things to save you grief. Remember that people in the pet store are trained to sell you things, not to know everything about how to care for fish properly. I have heard ridiculous advice from employees--"Your betta will drown in a 10G tank! You should get one of these tiny half gallon bowls instead" "Bettas are tough, ammonia doesn't bother them, so you don't need to worry about testing the water." All ridiculous things.

To be honest, your fish would probably be happier in a plastic storage bin, you could get a 2-4 gallon one for around $3. A container the size you have now would need to be changed every other day in order to remain free of toxic ammonia--you could return it to the store and get your money back, so that you have more money to go toward a bottle of dechlorinator. I'm not trying to be discouraging, mind you, bettas are wonderful pets, but to feel the joy of having one you need to know how to take care of it efficiently.

Fish are different from most animals, their major form of waste is ammonia which is constantly excreted through their gills. Kind of like the fish form of urine. In a closed system this quickly builds up and is highly toxic--in nature (and larger aquariums) beneficial bacteria convert this ammonia into less harmful compounds that are then consumed by plants. Since you have neither bacteria nor plants you will have to change the water every other day, even if the water appears clean. In a larger container, you would not have to change the water as often.

Keep in mind that when you do change the water, the temperatures should match and the fish should be slowly acclimated. In order to do this, you should put the fish back into the cup, and after you have put the new water in the tank, pour a little water out of the cup, and put a bit of the new water in until the cup is roughly all new water. If the new water is very similar to the old (same source, same additives, same temp), I do this over 15 min--if there are any differences in any of those three elements, I do it over the course of 45min-1hr.

Last edited by Adastra; 07-23-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

He's very pretty!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote