Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #11 
Maryrox247

i was just doing a basic guide on setting up a tank,not keeping it running. Sorry!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #12 
Campbell

It's a good BASIC guide for someone who has never had a fish, but I don't think it's ready for a sticky.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #13 
Maryrox247

well alright! I did my best so enjoy everyone!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #14 
BunniesLair

Honestly this does need to be a sticky! For people like me who know nothing about fish, who got one as a gift or because they thought Bettas were and easy first fish.

Could it be elaborated on? Probably - but me being a noob, I have no idea what areas would need it. And I have come back to this thread several times to double check things.

Anther Idea for a sticky would be - how to add live plants to your tank.. and the steps that follow..

Thank you Maryrox
BunniesLair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #15 
bearwithfish

Maryrox247 - i think you have done a ver y good job in this writing. i believe (if i am reading the posts correctly) that other members are simply encouraging you to continue with your effort and are suggesting more material that you could add to it.. i have been keeping for for quite some time and i found your explanation a very good one to refer to new fish keepers....
take the advice for what it is and add more if YOU wish to after all it is your work we are speaking of...
as for others who dont have either a positive contribution to add to the conversation or simply find it impossible to not be mean please opt to not post in this thread...
once complete it could well become a predominant fixture and i would hate to see negative comments continually embarrassing the poster who put them there....
bearwithfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #16 
kuklachica

I think this is a very good start Mary! This is very helpful for those people who are just getting started with a pet betta.

If you'd like to know more about cycling, check out the sticky in the Bowls/Habitats/Accessories section.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #17 
Narnian

Mary, are you able to make up a guide for the easiest/fastest way to do water changes on a cycled tank? I am a newbie and am trying to figure out how to do this in my head. I have many worries that:

1. The fish will jump out while I'm trying to siphon
2. If I'm supposed to shut everything off before doing so
3. If I mix de-chlorinator in a container, then just dump it in (or does it have to cure?)
4. How do I match temperature of water if my tank is heated and the fresh water (apparently isn't)

Ahhh so many questions! I would appreciate all and any help, should you decide to write up a guide. Oh, and personally your thread was very helpful and informative.
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #18 
kuklachica

1. The fish will jump out while I'm trying to siphon

-this is a possibility. It hasn't happened in my tanks (I have tanks from 3 gallons to 15) but it could. I usually take my guys out and put them in the cups they came in from the pet store. I also use empty jars or peanut butter containers, all of which work great. Just make sure you put a cover on those because they can very easily jump out.

2. If I'm supposed to shut everything off before doing so

- It is a good idea. I turn everything off (you could possibly burn out your heater with no water to heat). Plus the filter will have nothing to suck up. But don't leave it off for long because the bacteria in the filter can die without the proper oxygenation.

3. If I mix de-chlorinator in a container, then just dump it in (or does it have to cure?)

- It is better to cure it, but you don't HAVE to. I don't and haven't had any problems (but that's because I have cats and if I leave a 5 gallon bucket out over night I will have wet cats and a bucket full of cat hair).

4. How do I match temperature of water if my tank is heated and the fresh water (apparently isn't)

-Just add some warm water and try to get it to the same temp as the tank water.

BTW, How big is your tank?

Hope this helped!
Old 07-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #19 
Narnian

Wow, thanks for taking the time to help me, kuklachica.......greatly appreciated! :)

My tank is 10 gallon, and it is going to be heavily planted. I'm not sure if it will be possible to catch my fish each time I need to siphon, but I am concerned he will jump out.

So basically I turn everything off and use the siphon to clean up debris and get the water out. Then I take a bucket, fill it with the necessary water, put conditioner in (probably stir it around and such) and then I can just dump in the tank? The other option would be to use gallon water containers and put conditioner in it, then have it sit overnight, but it wouldn't be the same temperature. :/ This is already sounding like such a hassle!
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #20 
kuklachica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnian View Post
Wow, thanks for taking the time to help me, kuklachica.......greatly appreciated! :)

My tank is 10 gallon, and it is going to be heavily planted. I'm not sure if it will be possible to catch my fish each time I need to siphon, but I am concerned he will jump out.

So basically I turn everything off and use the siphon to clean up debris and get the water out. Then I take a bucket, fill it with the necessary water, put conditioner in (probably stir it around and such) and then I can just dump in the tank? The other option would be to use gallon water containers and put conditioner in it, then have it sit overnight, but it wouldn't be the same temperature. :/ This is already sounding like such a hassle!
Sounds about right. My fish come to the surface when I'm near the tank (Mom??? Food?!?!?!) so I just dip in a container and scoop them out. And, yes, basically you're just sucking up all the waste from the bottom and changing out some of the water. I'm assuming your tank will be cycled, but not sure how many fish will be in there? But if you one have one betta (or even 3 in a divided 10 gallon) with many plants you probably only need to change 25% of the water per week.

It is a bit of a project (try this with 4 tanks!!!) but once you get in the swing of it, it's not that bad. Be sure to have a towel handy!! And you can even train your fish to swim into the cup by submerging the cup halfway and sprinkling food in it. Thankfully they are little piggies :)