Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #1 
Alexanderismylife

Gravel or Marble gems?

Currently in all my tanks I have pebble like gravel..And both of my bettas usually sleep on the gravel floor which I think might be causeing scratches on their sides Do you have these problems with gravel? Also I was thinking of maybe switching to those gem like marbles they sell at petstores...What do you guys think?

Thanks,Kayla
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #2 
Adastra

If your tanks are cycled, gravel is definitely the way to go. It's more porous, which allows bacteria to easily colonize it. Also, if your tank is cycled, you usually clean with a gravel vac--when you have marbles, because the pieces are big and round there are large gaps between each marble, so uneaten food and waste are very difficult to extract with a normal gravel vac. Normal gravel fits much more closely together.

However, if your tanks are not cycled and you have to take out and wash all the substrate with every change anyway, marbles are the way to go. If your gravel is really jagged, though, there are plenty of finer gravels that are less sharp.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #3 
Alexanderismylife

Okay thanks! I do have my tank cycled. I will just be on the look out for some different gravel!
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:16 PM   #4 
Adastra

You could just top the gravel with some smooth river stones--they sell aquarium safe ones at the pet store, you could get a small package of large flat stones and put the stones in places the betta likes to rest.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
You could just top the gravel with some smooth river stones--they sell aquarium safe ones at the pet store, you could get a small package of large flat stones and put the stones in places the betta likes to rest.
I agree with the larger stones idea. I have those & drop them in my tanks to make little "rock piles" - gives the tanks a very natural look, IMO.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote