Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2010, 04:25 AM   #1 
shmifty5

Unhappy My sorority is having issues + RIP missy

My girls were all doing fine, they are eating normally, and occasionally bickering, except for a few hours ago.

I don't know why or for what reason but my water temps spiked, they went from 78 to 106, I checked the water at 8pm (saturday) and it was 78, I rechecked at 8:30 (saturday) and it was at 106, I figured the thermometer was broken but the water was actually HOT to my touch, like I mean hot enough for a Hot bath (on the warmer side).

I also noticed missy at the bottom just 'breathing', she wasn't swimming and her fins were clamped, the same goes for pepper (salt and bessy were hidden somewhere in the tank), I removed some water and added freshly treated cold water, I removed my water heater and turned off their light, they all seemed more alive after that, missy was especially looking normal, she was swimming and seemed relieved, the rest looked weary.

15 minutes later I saw missy floating, head up, and dead, needless to say I was devastated, I loved missy because she was the peace keeper, she kept salt and pepper from fighting and she kept bessy from going berserk, now the 3 remaining girls are just floating at the surface, they are alive and breathing, so far only pepper has eaten food when presented with it, the rest didn't seem interested.

Theay are still floating and I'm still worried, what do you do for fish that were nearly boiled? how do I keep them from killing each other now? I only have 1 other 5 gallon tank and the 20 gallon is on route with multiple delays (FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-), I'm so confused, I had planned everything, the 20 gallon would be here before I got home, I would set it up and the girls would be fine, if I needed to remove one I had 2 empty 5 gals, fricken planning.

any help at all? do I just add ice and keep the heater off? what about their light (which produces mad heat)? they are above my anoles tank which needs heat, will they get warmed up as a side-effect?

on a side-note, I was just wondering if anyone has 'fed' their deceased fish to another pet who eats fish in the wild? I'm mainly asking because mello (tiger sal) got a hold of missy' body and ate it, he doesn't look sick and he 'wants' more, I just hope he doesn't...

P.S. what do you guys do to cheer up after something like this?
shmifty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:04 AM   #2 
Fermin

Sorry to hear about your tank issues. Sounds like your heater is dysfunctional. I'd toss it so it doesn't short out and electrocute you/your fish and burn your house down.

If it's summer where you live you can probably do without the heater for a while, providing that there aren't large temp swings due to air conditioning or direct sunlight.

The light your lizard needs is for for heat - - - this is not an appropriate light source for a fish tank. Absolutely remove the lizards light from your tank's vicinity. If your want lighting for your fish tank you can buy a hood and bulbs at any pet store.

In the meantime you need to get your fish healthy again. Personally, I would try to let them recover seperately. If I didn't have enough hospital tanks for each of them, I'd probably run out to the store and either buy some cheapo goldfish bowls or some clear tupperwares to house them individually in until they perk up.

Good luck!
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #3 
Sarada

I have an answer to your P.S.....I either drink some wine or go out geocaching with my dog.

I think adding the cooler water might have shocked them...I would have just turned off the heater to let the water slowly cool down.

Sorry to hear about your fish, I hope the rest of them make it.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #4 
TheJadeBetta

Aaaawwwww. Sorry about Missy. I hope your others make it. I am having problems as well. I have a bad case of Ich.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:57 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry about Missy. I hope the others will be ok.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #6 
frogipoi

Poor missy.
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #7 
shmifty5

yeah, the others seem to be back to normal, no fighting or anything, except for bessy (my largest) who now swims like a massive shark (always slow).

The lizard tank is below my tank, so I was worried about the excess heat rising (as heat does) and heating the tank, I know it's not likely but I've seen crazier things before.

Thanks for the sympathy, it really does help, I hope your Ich clears up TheJadeBetta.
shmifty5 is offline   Reply With Quote