Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #1 
Ajones108

Does salt in water affect cohesive-ness of bubblenests?

As some of you may know, I have a very hardy betta boy who has blossomed into full finneage and a well-established tank. Well when I did the last water change I put some salt in the water to help his fins along as well as a couple scratches around his gills.

But I realize, my hardy, beautiful boy has stopped making bubbles. Or has he? I was wondering if the salt in the fish tank water makes the bubbles impossible to stick and hold. He's blown bubbles all over his tank before but never a big nest of any sort. But now there are no bubbles.

He's certainly not an OLD fish. Very lively, bright colour, always around his tank now. But no bubbles. :( Anyone have any reason why? Think it could be the salt?
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #2 
bettalover2033

welll im with you on this i would like to know too because im kinda having the same problem.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:57 PM   #3 
FloridaBettas239

I have never had a problem with fresh water aquarium salt. A lot of breeders use it in there breeding tanks. I have used it and never had a problem with bubbles not sticking together. I dont use salt anymore i use indian almond leaves, and let me tell you when that water gets a little brown them bubble just start layering up like foam. It make it easy to blow a nest. I have had the female blow one just flaring back at the male before i let them go. Its so sticky nothing would pop..
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #4 
RandomFish

I have two boys in a divided tank which had 1 tsp of salt per gallon at one point. Whether there is salt in the tank or not, one of them (a veiltail) builds bubble nests about 1.5" in diameter while the other one (Petco halfmoon, really wimpy-looking and scared of his own reflection) blows the scattered bubbles.
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:15 PM   #5 
Ajones108

Hmm. Could the PH of the water affect it? I just tested the PH and it's about 7.5.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #6 
frogipoi

Maybe he is like "you are treating me, so I should act sick" XD. Aqua did that but I did not treat him.
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #7 
Ajones108

I just wish he would blow bubbles again to show me he's happy. D: I'm going to do a 100% water change tomorrow
Old 08-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #8 
RandomFish

I'm bumping this thread back up because I think you may be on to something, Ajones! My "wimpy" guy who used to blow only scattered bubbles blew his first bubble nest! It was the day after I did a 100% water change and used zero aquarium salt for the refill. Prior to the WC there was 5 tsp of aquarium salt in the 10-gallon. His tankmate continues to blow bubble nests, aquarium salt or no.

I'm going to be adding aquarium salt for the next 100% WC so I'll be posting in this thread again to report the results..
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:22 AM   #9 
FloridaBettas239

If there is to much surface move ment, he won't be able to blow a nest. You could either place a foam cup or something for him to blow a nest under. He could be trying to blow one every now and then but it's popin..
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #10 
Ajones108

That's the thing though, there's no surface movement @.@ I'm putting on a filter soon though. I might do the cup thing just to see a pretty nest.