Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2010, 12:52 AM   #1 
kiddomagic

Unhappy aquabid?!

i'm thinking of getting a halfmoon betta on aquabid. has anyone tried that before? was the fish still alive once you got it?

and, is aquabid a safe site? O.o and, how do they arrive? on your door? in the mail? PLEASE HELP!
kiddomagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:50 AM   #2 
RandomFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddomagic View Post
i'm thinking of getting a halfmoon betta on aquabid. has anyone tried that before?
Yes. The total cost was about $50, including the price of the fish, paying the breeder to mail the fish, transhipping fees, and Express (overnight) delivery.

Quote:
was the fish still alive once you got it?
Barely. Most of his dorsal fin was ripped.

Quote:
and, is aquabid a safe site? O.o
If the seller has good feedback (lots of positives), it's pretty much a safe bet to buy from them.

Quote:
and, how do they arrive? on your door? in the mail? PLEASE HELP!
Yeah, in the mail (it's strongly advised that you pay the extra for Express service and make sure you're home the next morning to receive the package), unless you live close to the transhipper and he or she agrees to let you pick it up.
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #3 
FloridaBettas239

Aquabid is really safe because you pay with pay pal and can cancle payment if something bad happens. You still want to look at the seller and there is a feed back spot on the site where you can check to see if he/she is good.
The fish are 50.00-60.00 for a pair and then once they get to your trans shipper you pay 4.00 each fish for handling, and that price. Depends on the trans shipper. And express shipping is 32.00 so it ends up costing 80.00-100.00 to get a pair on you door step.

They arrive usps from you mail person and I suggest you are there.
The fish are packed good and can not see each other.

All my fish have arrived in good shape, and back to there selfs in hours. And look like the happy fish in the photo when I bought them. I haven't had a problem.
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #4 
Zoelie

Yes, I just got my first Halfmoon by aquabid last week. In total it costed me about $61 including all the shipping and price of fish. He arrived healthy, with no nips or anything out of his tail/or fins. They arrive in an insulated box to your front door :) If you choose express (you should) you should have them in one day after the transhipper ships them out..you should also be sent a tracking number to the package, and when they arrive you have to sign for them, so make sure to be home ^^
Zoelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #5 
kiddomagic

whoa! $80 for a fish?! O.o uh...
how long does it usually take?
wow. $100?! omg...
any sites that are cheaper?
Old 07-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #6 
kiddomagic

ooh! i found another website...
http://www.siamimbellis.com/
has anyone ordered anything from there? how is it?
and the price is ok. $20-$40. or something...
Old 07-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Your not going to find it cheaper unless you get a fish from the US and still its going to be around $50.

The average cost for a male is around $20 plus $35 for shipping and right there that's $55. In addition to that if you get a fish from over seas your looking at $5 to get the fish to the US and another $10-15 in processing fees for the transshipper.

Each transhipper has different schedules. Mine gets in shipments every two weeks so it depends on when the next shipment is coming in as to when you get your fish. Its possible (especially with Halfmoons) that you'll get a little damage to the fins but usually its not too bad. If the fish is DOA then you should get either a refund of your money (not including the transhipping and shipping fees) or will be sent another fish (again you have to pay shipping).
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #8 
Jdh

Hello!
I recently purchased a White Opaque Halfmoon from Aquabid with no trouble. Aquabid is like any e-commerce site in that you just have to be careful of what sellers you buy from- So make sure to check the legitimacy and reviews left on any seller you're considering buying from. (I highly recommend GreatBettas, very fast service.) Also, remember that the Express Mail Transhipper Fee, Airmail shipping fee (from the breeder), and a $20 fish price can total $50-$70. If the fish has rarer markings or green coloration, it's typically $10-$20 higher.

I personally recommend buying from AquaBid over other online websites, because you're buying from individual breeders or small companies. This means that you'll get faster service and less errors if you buy from a good breeder. http://LiveAquiria.com is a another great site for buying live fish including Bettas, but you don't have the selection that AquaBid offers.

The last thing to consider about AquaBid is that alot of breeders aren't located in the USA. This means that you'll have to payer the buyer's preferred transhipper individually.

Good luck! :)
-Josh
Jdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #9 
kiddomagic

convincing my parents... is HARD.
what about petco halfmoons?
Old 07-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #10 
Welsh

I can imagine ebay would be cheaper, I have had my bettas and snails off ebay with no problems or damage just make sure the feedback is 100% or something near that number and everything should go accordingly :)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote