Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2010, 02:42 AM   #1 
Whatswithgravity

Plants

I'm looking for ideas for freshwater plants to go in my 5 gallon fluval chi 10x10x12 (I think). Will be stocked with a betta and one or two shrimp. I've never kept a live plant tank before so easy to keep, moderate care, window light plants and moss would be ideal.
Thanks in advance :)
Whatswithgravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:23 AM   #2 
dipsydoodlenoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatswithgravity View Post
I'm looking for ideas for freshwater plants to go in my 5 gallon fluval chi 10x10x12 (I think). Will be stocked with a betta and one or two shrimp. I've never kept a live plant tank before so easy to keep, moderate care, window light plants and moss would be ideal.
Thanks in advance :)

In my tanks (all low light) I have java fern, java moss, anubias barteri var nana and Elodea. The elodea is fast growing but the other three are fairly slow growing and in a small tank you want something slow growing.

The Java fern, moss and anubias do better attached to rocks or wood or something but I just put the elodea in the gravel (nothing special, no CO2, no extra light except natural light) and it's rooted and growing :)
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:40 AM   #3 
Welsh

I have a 10x10x10 aquacube and I keep ludwigia and hygrophilia in there with some java moss but thats more of a hindrance at the moment as its refusing to stay where I put it lol

For low light plants then dipsydoodlenoodle has already mentioned most that I can think of but any type of moss, Christmas moss is good and it grows much better than java moss IMO there are also Crypts which are low light plants :)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote