Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2010, 05:22 AM   #1 
louu

Problem with sponge filter?

I own the SR2500 aquaone air pump that I couple with the smallest aquaone filter that the pet shop guy said would be good for a 30L (7-8g) tank.

When I run it a stream of large bubble explode out of the sponge filter and the water is so choppy and horrible like a bad day out at sea. It nearly scared the little fins off of my fish! So am I doing it wrong? It was set on low and was insane. Sorry I shouldn't have to ask and it might be different between the two countries but I don't want to go out and buy another and the same thing happen...

Thank you very very much in advance it is greatly appreciated
louu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:33 AM   #2 
FloridaBettas239

It sounds like your air pump is to strong. I have a 5 way valve, I can control the flow from just bubbling to making the water hit the lid of the tank.
You can bend the air line going to the sponge filter and put a rubber band around it. And slow the flow down. And then later on go out and get the valve to adjust it. Or if you feel like you don't need the Valve then just keep using the rubber band.
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #3 
louu

So simple but so smart, I now have some ideas. I didn't even think of restricting the output.

Also about the valve I don't really know my valves but I did a quick search and came up with this ->

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.co...prod_1402.html

I have found other air control valves and none of them had any info on them, this one had the best picture.
It looks right has places to connect tubing and a little screw for control if I am seeing what I think I am seeing.

Thanks so much for the reply I am still getting my bearings around equipment especially around filters and plumbing :)
Old 07-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #4 
FloridaBettas239

I dont no much about the one in the picture, but if you google "aquarium gang valve" you will see. Here are the one's i use i have one in my room so mine and my wife's tank is running off one air pump. Little 2.5 gallon tanks on are night stands...

HERE IS THE ONE I HAVE IN MY ROOM HAS 2 OUTLETS AND YOU CONTROL THE FLOW WITH THE LITTLE KNOB..

AND HERE IS THE GANG VALVE I HAVE IN MY BREEDING ROOM...

These valves work very good for me, I have yet to have a problem with the Lok tite brand. And they only cost 3 or 4 dollars...
Old 07-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

So these things really do control the flow? What if you only have one line plugged into a two way? I have a 2 way gang valve but only one 2 gallon tank. =/
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #6 
FloridaBettas239

Yeah they really control the flow, I have both of the one's you see in the pic's.

There is a place to hook up 2 air line's which would be coming from your pump to the gang valve. If you only have a air pump with one outlet, A plug come's with the gang valve, It plug's one side off while your pump plug's into the other side.
Okay now you have your pump hooked up and you have 2 outlets to feed air, you can run 2 sponge filters. You dont have to, you can turn one valve off and the other you turn untill the flow is right for you.
If your pump has enough pressure then you can hook a 2nd air line to the 2nd out let and hook up a bubble bar or one of those chest that open and close and blow a bubble.
So just because your pump only has one outlet, If its strong enough you can get the valve with to outlets and run your sponge filter and something else or just the sponge...
Old 07-29-2010, 02:23 PM   #7 
louu

ahhh that's handy!

Thanks for your help, I'm gonna go shopping!

Tags
air pump, sponge filter