Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #11 
Adastra

Well--look at the male.. his fins are not particularly long, he almost has the look of a symmetrical halfmoon plakat. :) He looks like he has some rosetail influence as well--notice the overlapping in the caudal and I also see where one scale is a bit uneven. The male also has short blob ventrals rather than the longer more angular ones I would expect which is another possible indication of rosetail influence..
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:55 AM   #12 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Gorgeous female!!!

I'm no expert, this is only my opinion.
The female is a superb outcome of extreme cross breedings. Viewing her dorsal and anal fins (rays protruding), she has crown genes (or what ever you call 'em). She also has double tail genes (long dorsal). Her tail shows signs of rose and definitely a superb HM.

To get long finned females, you would have to cross breed HM to VT (often done here in my country)and do a lot of selective in and out breeding until you have the length and shape desired. To get a spread like the example, you need to cross breed again to double tails and again selective in and out breeding. It's very hard work and you would produce a lot of undesired off springs.

Double tails are also used to widen the spread, to produce OHM. Keep in mind though, good adult females produce 700 - 1000 eggs. So you need to calculate the percentage of results (according to Mendel's theory) and the amount that actually survive..... which percent are the survivors?

I'm not trying to avoid your experimenting. I just don't want you to be disappointed, specially since you guys say that breeding is expensive. So if you do experiment, be ready for the worst.

I hope this helps.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote