Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2010, 03:18 PM   #11 
Adastra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Sunlight View Post
I see Dead Sunlight tail bite all the time:(

Really? This fish must be very neurotic or stressed to bite right in front of you. It may also be a sign of poor breeding--some theorize that tail biting is an inherited trait.

Welsh,

It looks to me that the fish is nibbling on his fins. I don't see any signs of infection. The notches you're seeing are the places where he's taken bites. Fin rot does not look like that--it's much more even and is discolored. There are ways to help stop your fish from doing this, but you have to figure out what the root of the problem is.

Some biters bite to relieve stress--I have had two of these in the past. One of them was a very high strung fish who did not like to have anything in his aquarium change, and he especially did not like total darkness. If I kept the room totally black, I would wake up to a totally nommed up tail. Once I started keeping a nightlight on, there was a lot of improvement. Another stress biter I had simply hated one particular piece of decor--it took up too much space in the tank or something. Once I removed it and added some leafy plants, he stopped biting.

Some biters bite to relieve boredom or out of hunger. I have one of these now, I skipped feeding for 3 days while I was on vacation and came home to a mangled tail, zzzz. Jerk. I usually keep him controlled by moving around his decor and giving him new things to look at outside his tank.

Some fish bite for reasons we just don't understand, and as I stated before, it has been theorized that biting is an inherited trait. It may help to review your care habits and his environment and try to figure out whether he is being exposed to stress or whether he's simply bored.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #12 
Welsh

How can a fish even bite his tail, it just seems like something a dog would only do lol

Well, he is in a 4 gallon on his own and I have a moonlight option which I leave on in the night, other than water changes I can't imagine what would stress him out. Do you really think its not fin rot? because I will be putting him in a divided tank this week with my new betta and really don't want the new one to get it too, also if it is fin biting then the new addition may keep him occupied and stop his little habit
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:53 PM   #13 
Adastra

It is definitely not fin rot--tail biting is very common in bettas, especially on longfinned ones. Though I have heard of females and plakats doing it occasionally. It's possible your fish is bored--maybe you should consider adding some new decor or rearranging what you have when you do water changes. Putting colorful interesting objects around the outside of the tank will give him something to look at during the day.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #14 
Welsh

I do place objects outside his tank and I re-arrange his deco every other week when I trim the plants down, I wish it was fin rot at least that can be dealt with easy enough but tail biting may never stop right? Did you do anything to encourage regrowth? also, do you think putting him in a tank with the new betta will stress him or occupy him?
Old 07-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #15 
Adastra

There's no way for me to be sure, really. We don't really know the trigger for your fish--it took a lot of trial and error and process of elimination to figure out the triggers for my boys. I try to eliminate stress as a cause before tackling the issue of boredom, since trying to entertain a stressed out fish can just exacerbate the problem.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #16 
Sarada

Doesn't look like rot to me, he looks fine.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #17 
Sarada

Do you have a filter? The water movement from a filter could be stressing him. I think that's my boys problem.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #18 
Welsh

I have a filter but its not a strong current, I think I will leave him in QT for a bit longer and see how things go :) Thanks guy for your help