Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #1 
Poetrywolf

Gasping for Air - Please help!

If anyone could give me advice of how I might help my betta I'd really appreciate it.

Current water stats:
pH: 7.1
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrates: 10 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
KH: 180 ppm

Backstory: I did a full tank cleaning last night, something I do sparingly but it was time for, made sure to dechlorinate the new water as I usually do with TetraSafe betta water conditioner (I've been using it her entire life), gave it time for the deoxygenization process to go ahead and let the filter run, put Izzy in a small container within the larger tank to adjust to the temperature before letting her loose. Effectively the same process I've gone through every time I've done a full tank cleaning. She seemed fine last night, ate plenty when it was time for her evening feeding, but this morning was very listless, predominantly resting on the bottom of the tank or the niche between her filter and the wall, using short bursts of energy to reach the surface far more often than she usually needs to, gasping for air up there, before drifting back down to the bottom of the tank. I thought it looked like an ammonia or nitrate issue due to the gasping, but the water seems normal after tests and there was no sign of red or brown coloration on her gills (and again, I've been doing the same process for the past two years).

I realize that this may also just be her time, as 2 years old, while far from ancient for a betta, is certainly still a full life. That said, if anyone has any suggestions for what else I might try, I would really appreciate it. In the meantime I'm going to try to go buy an air pump to see if aerating the water might ease her breathing a bit, though she's never had any issue with such before.
Poetrywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How big is the tank, when was the last water change and how much do you change on a regular basis, do you have water pram reading from before you made the 100% water change by chance?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #3 
Poetrywolf

2.5 gallons, usually I do 25-50% changes every other week as the filter is constantly going. Unfortunately I do not have the readings before hand. As for 100% changes, I've done those approximately every 6 months. I just read that this site does not recommend doing that at all, which is a shock to me as I was told differently. Yet somehow my poor girl has never had any issue before today?
Old 07-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #4 
Poetrywolf

She just passed. Thank you for being willing to help. I guess I brought this on her myself.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #5 
KBoone

Sorry for your loss.
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss, what it sounded like to me was a nitrate/pH shock from the 100% water change from infrequent water changes and compromised immune response.

In a 2.5g filtered tank, twice weekly 50% water changes and one substrate vacuuming with one of the twice weekly water changes should be enough to maintain water quality.
This will help keep the water prams stable to help avoid nitrate/pH shock related issues, also with infrequent water changes the nitrate can rise to level that can affect the immune response causing even more problems.
Again sorry for you loss, hope to hear and see pic of a new Betta really soon....this is a wonderful hobby....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about your fish!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #8 
miyko

so sorry for your loss
miyko is offline   Reply With Quote