Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #21 
kuklachica

Properly kept bettas can live for up to 5 years. It is not that we have had bad experiences, we are just practicing good husbandry and respecting their nature. Males and females should not be housed together.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:10 PM   #22 
kuklachica

Please see this article from a very respected betta breeder here in the U.S.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #23 
germanchick09

i know i know and im not argueing with anyone, i respect your oppinion, ive just always done it this way...
germanchick09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #24 
CayennePepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Even in sororities fish can be together for YEARS and then all the sudden one decides that she's going to kill all the other fish.
I have to say something, because I've been following this thread and am not encouraged by what I've been reading. 1fish2fish you're right its a risk even in sororities. I know everyone is trying to help her and keep from heartbreak, but ultimately its her fish and not anyone else's and therefore her choice. I do not necessarily agree with keeping the fish together but it is not my responsibility nor anyone else's to change her and her decision. You all have warned her sufficiently that she is aware of the risk and she can decide for herself what her ultimate decision is going to be. You can't make the decision for her.
CayennePepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:18 PM   #25 
1fish2fish

Yes but think of the unsuspecting person that comes along and reads this. It has been proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, studied and documented that it is NOT good for two splendens to be kept together undivided. I don't want some kid getting on this site, reading this thread than going out and putting two fish together then crying to us when one kills the other. This forum is about promoting proper husbandry.

People on the internet can't change a person's mind. All we can do is try to promote what is best for the fish.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #26 
germanchick09

To 1fish2fish, there was no need for you to call me an idiot in your blog
Old 07-26-2010, 10:25 PM   #27 
CayennePepper

Believe me, 1fish2fish, I really do understand what you mean. The last thing I would want is that too. The first two pages of thread I was fine, but its coming to shoving now. As a businesswoman, I would advise the forum to post a single post with the information they need to convey and then leave this owner to maker her choice if it isn't already made up.
CayennePepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:28 PM   #28 
germanchick09

like i said a hundred times before, ive never had a bad experience, and if this one turns out bad ill give you that one 1fish2fish, ive had my last 2 bettas live together for 7years, never any problems
Old 07-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #29 
1fish2fish

I've never shoved anyone and fortunately for me my blog is a place for me to vent and share useful information based on my experiences and research. I'm sorry if I offended you but I love these fish, they are way more than pets to me and I can't stand to see them mistreated. You may have had a few good experiences but that is not the norm and I will not sit by and see some one try to experiment with this and potentially put these fish in danger.

Since obviously nothing more is going to happen here I won't be posting on this thread any more. I sincerely wish for the sake of the fish that this set up works out for you germanchick09.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #30 
Astro277

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanchick09 View Post
like i said a hundred times before, ive never had a bad experience, and if this one turns out bad ill give you that one 1fish2fish, ive had my last 2 bettas live together for 7years, never any problems
No offence to you but i find it odd you never posted any thing about how long you have had pairs liveing together until 3 pages into the thread after several people asked.

I for one would like to see pictures. Proof if you may.
I'll let you know now though Im expecting to find unhappy, stressed, nipped fins bettas. If you had the wild type no one would be questioning you now. But simple fact is you dont. The domestic beed has been bred for many, many years to be aggressive, not occasional nip here and there but to kill over their territory. This includes female bettas too. Where did these fish come from anyways? a walmart im guessing? Im pretty sure petsmart and petco doesnt sell to anyone under 18.

Also What happen to the two males you had together for 2 years? That is deffinatly not the normal life span for a betta. So did one kill the other or jump ship to get away from the other?
Astro277 is offline   Reply With Quote