Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #21 
BettaBoy84

Talking MAUI Update

Hey All,

Its been 5 Days of MAUI in her Hospital Tank. I have been continuing with the daily 100% water changes with fresh water, that has been mixed in with water conditioner, aquarium salt and bur oak leaves.

I Have been feeding her blood worms and keeping a few oak leaves in the tank as well.

I have 3 other Hospital tanks on the go, Repairing slightly damaged fins and improving quality of color and fins in others, before adding all 8 females to a new 70 Gallon Tank.

I will post more soon.

BETTA BOY
Attached Images

BettaBoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #22 
BettaBoy84

Talking Replace Hopital Tank Water evey 2 Days?

Hey All,

I have had 4 of my fish in Hospital Tanks for the last 3 days. I put them in to both brighten color and and repair fins.

The water has turned a light to dark brown perfect for the girls. There has been MAJOR recovery in all fins and all colors.

AMAZING changes in some. Beuasellei and Nuet have been returned to the sorority and look like new girls. Lets hope it stays that way!

Question for you OLD FISH LADY; Is it OK to leave the water unchanged for 2 days or more? I have great tannin color in the 4 gallon jars the girls are in.

Thanks,

BETTA BOY
Old 08-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #23 
Oldfishlady

You need to get you some buckets to keep some water and leaves in so that you have fresh tannin water all the time, I personally love the amber colored water in my tanks.
You can also tear up the leaves and pour hot-not boiling water over them to get the tannins out faster, I use the leaves until nothing comes out of them.
If your QT containers are 4g-then yes, you can make the water changes every couple of days provided you are removing the uneaten food.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #24 
BettaBoy84

Talking We Be Tannin Mon

I love this color too. When I get my tank up and going im gonna start off with a nice dark color, load it with these oak leaves.

Both of my females, Maui and M.J. are recovering fast, looking back at earlier posts.

Maui has had good recovery in lower fin and looks like the back fin is doing better too.

M.J. had huge damage from territorial disputes but is fixed up now perfectly. It has been under 3 days.

BETTA BOY
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #25 
Oldfishlady

Looking good......

It is amazing how fast these fish will heal up with good care....

Nice looking Bettas too by the way.....
Old 08-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #26 
BettaBoy84

Stress Lines,

Very intense stress lines on M.J. for some reason...ironic...

But wondering why? She is in a descent sized tank with healthy water, and good temp. Well fed, weird.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #27 
Oldfishlady

It doesn't always mean stress, color changes and lines can also mean, happy and content and used as camo a type of communication tool.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #28 
FloridaBettas239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I use oak leaves instead of Indian almond leaf-they do the same thing, IAL-you need less of them to get the same amount of tannins than the oak leave and the oak leaves break down faster too-in my experience
You can use oak but IAL has more and better stuff that it releases into the water. There's a page somewhere on the net im going to try to find it. It goes in to detail about the stuff each leaf puts off..
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #29 
FloridaBettas239

Any way unless the wound's have got infected, Just use fresh water aquarium salt. Its the best thing that and IAL, the IAL will make the fish scales tougher and fin's, This is what a lot of fighter's do they will soak there betta in indian almond leaves to make there scales and fin's tougher, so when they did get bit, it wasn't as bad... There's all kind's of trick's you can learn off the thai way of betta keeping...
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #30 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBettas239 View Post
You can use oak but IAL has more and better stuff that it releases into the water. There's a page somewhere on the net im going to try to find it. It goes in to detail about the stuff each leaf puts off..
I would love to see the scientific research on that, so please post a link if you have one. The scientific research I found- states that both Indian almond leaf and oak leaf contain the same properties, I wish I had a link but it was written before the internet and so much can change over the years...lol....especially in the area of science and up-dated with new and improved gizmos....laffs so my information could be out-dated, however, I have been using oak leaf tannins for over 20 years at least and in my personal comparison between IAL and OL-the only difference I have found is the color of the water and price, as far as it antimicrobial/fungal effect have been the same IME.

Tags
fin damage, fin repair, heal, treatment