Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2010, 12:29 AM   #1 
soleilvie

How to remove residue from a suction-cup thermometer?

I've been having some trouble with my thermometer. The suction cup is no longer doing its job and there is now some residue behind it. I have taken the thermometer off and am now using one of those sinking thermometers that stand up at the bottom of the tank.

How do I go about cleaning off this residue? It's really bugging me! It doesn't come off with just hot water + a sponge or a paper towel. I'm worried about using any soap or chemicals.
soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:41 AM   #2 
SaylorKennedy

That happened to my Eclipse and thermometer too. I tried scrubbing it but didn't want to scratch the acrylic and I tried cleaning it with a little vinegar. But alas, nothing really worked. I just stuck a new thermometer on top of it and made myself thing the residue was part of the suction cup. I got used to it.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #3 
Welsh

Try using a little bleach diluted with water but remember to thoroughly clean it before you use it again, I cleaned my algae ridden fish tank with flash on the weekend and everyone is still alive :)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #4 
soleilvie

Thanks for the tip, Welsh. I am moving soon and will need to empty out most of the tank water so I'll probably see about doing it then.
soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote