Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #1 
MoePaac

Light

I have two tanks. A 12g and a Marineland Eclipse 3. I am using the light that came with the Eclipse and it reads natural daylight 6W. I have some (what I think is) Java moss, hornwort, and a banana plant growing in this tank. All of the plants are really green and are showing bright colors. The only inhabitants in the eclipse are 3 ghost shrimp and snails. I fertilize weekly with Nutrafin plant grow.

In the 12g, my plants weren't looking so good. They had some brown on them here and there, and the parts of the plants furthest from the light weren't very green. I fertilized weekly with the Nutrafin, did water changes, etc. In this tank are: anacharis, hornwort, 2 banana plants, 2 java ferns, some java moss, hygrophila difformis, a marimo ball, and ludwiga (new). There are snails, one ghost shrimp, four cory schwartzi, and my betta. The bulb that came with my 12g tank was an Aqua Ray 18" for Fresh & Saltwater (F15T8-AR-FS), but wanted to get a different bulb to encourage better plant growth thinking this may be part of the issue. I picked up a GE daylight F15, 700 lumens, 6500K. With the old bulb, the water was almost a bluish tint, and with this new bulb it is a green?

Have I made a good choice with the bulb? Is there a different one I could use to get the brighter/clearer light of the eclipse?

Thanks!
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #2 
MoePaac

It's a sand substrate and I don't use root tabs.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #3 
MoePaac

Sorry to bump... but am I going to need to find a higher watt to get the effect of the Eclipse 3? Or a different kind of bulb? Or is the one I have really the best bet?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

I have no idea sorry. =[ I figured I'd post on here because a TON of threads have been made since yours and yours was burried it seems. =[
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #5 
MoePaac

I'll give it one more try, haha. Stick with the bulb I have? Or a different kind? Higher watt? I'd really like to get the bright, truer color look of the Eclipse in my 12g.