Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #1 
SwimyRainbowFinn

Cleaning a Used Tank?

Hello,
Im still working on my new 20 gallon divided betta tank, my boyfriend ever so kindly let me have his old 20 gal. He had a few fish and then one hampster in it before, its still in good condition given the fact its been used and sat in his basement for maybe 5 years, it dosent smell at all like it had a hampster in it.

My question is: how can i clean this tank properly? i've heard before you could use vinegar, is this safe and effective?

Thanks for your help :)
SwimyRainbowFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #2 
frogipoi

I would rinse it well and clean it well before I put a betta in there. CLEAN IT WELL. Dust could be harmful.
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:50 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I would set it up out side and then clean with diluted bleach and fill to make a leak test for 24 hours, sitting dry can cause the seals to crack and moving can too, one wrong twist and the seal can crack....no fun cleaning up 20g of water....
After cleaning and leak test rinse really good with warm water and use a dechlorinator on the final fill.
If it had calcium deposits-use vinegar after the bleach...never together due to chemical reaction that can be harmful to you.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #4 
frogipoi

^ She is right ^
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #5 
SwimyRainbowFinn

Ok, thanks alot guys :)
Old 07-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #6 
Welsh

I recently had one of my fish tanks on my windowsill and obviously algae started to grow which wouldn't come off with a cloth so Saturday just gone after a few glasses of vino for dutch courage I sprayed the tank with Flash (bleach spray) and the algae came off dim problemau :) I then let the shower run with boiling water for about 30 mins then put my snails back in and everyone is still swimming happily or slugging whatever you wanna call it :)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #7 
SwimyRainbowFinn

I just finished cleaning it, i used vinigar and water to scrub it, i have it sitting outside to find any leaks. My dad said we could seal all the joints again just to make sure there are no leaks, i'll clean it mutiple times after that as well, its looking sparkly clean! thanks for the help :)