Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #1 
Sicklidae

Feeding

How much am I supposed to feed my guy?

I saw someone on here say 3 pellets, but my guy snarfs them down so quickly... is 3 really enough?

The jar says as much as he can eat in 2 min... thats ALLOT of food.
Sicklidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #2 
BettaBoy84

Same problem, great question.

I fed my girls pellets for a while, then started feeding them blood worms, they scarf them down now. Before, 2 minutes was reasonable, it was like 1-2 pellets in a 2 minute period, now they can plow through a pile of blood worms in 2 minutes as long as it keeps snowing!

I have my one female in a hospital tank, and she can eat as much as i feed her. I usually give a small pinch each, one per individual, in their own areas.

However I like to always drop food in one place, as they all come out to one area and are all (for once) in a tight group, relaxed and enjoying eachother withought hiding on thier own!

How much is too much?!?
BettaBoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #3 
fleetfish

I usually feed four to six pellets in one day (2-3 in the morning, 2-3 in the evening), supplimented with frozen food (either frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, daphnia, or live blackworms). I also like to fast them for TWO days, with the night before fasting feeding with peas. This way they will have less risk of getting bloated or constipated and it gives their digestive systems a rest. It really depends on your fish and your preferences though, but I've found this method to be very good.

And fasting for two days won't starve them :)
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #4 
Sicklidae

Yea, I've heard of fasting for one day, and feeding a pea (without it's shell) the day before the fasting.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

The "feed for two minutes" thing is bogus. A betta's stomach is about the size of its eye. That means it can really only process 2-3 pellets at a time. Also remember that dried foods swell once they are saturated with water.. this is why so many fish have constipation issues.

I feed my fish 2 pellets a meal. If I have good food (Attinsons or NLS betta) I feed 3 pellets because they are smaller. I try to feed frozen as much as possible though because I have noticed a big difference in my fish once I switched to different frozen foods instead of using just pellets.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #6 
Sicklidae

Uh-oh, my boy is going to be constipated, the past two days he ate 8 pellets per day. Should I feed him a pea tomorrow?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would fast him for a day or two first. If he's not pooping then feed him a pea or daphnia. I prefer daphnia because it's a more natural alternative.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #8 
KBoone

I always feed mine 2-3 pellets, 2-3 times day. I give them dried bloodworms as an occassional treat. Have had no problems thus far.
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #9 
Sicklidae

Thanks guys for all the help!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #10 
FloridaBettas239

A betta will eat it' self to death, I think a lot of my fish would. And like 1fish2fish a betta stomach is the size of his eye, so you giving him anymore than that is not good. Also just like someone said about freeze dried stuff even flakes have all that air. It would be like us eatting uncooked rice. Your going to get a belly ach and after so long start getting back up..

If i was to feed my betta because he looked or acted hungry he would be dead. Any time i walk up to his tank he just stare's at the top of the water, just sitting there lookinh up. and im not even opening the lid. lol
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote