Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #11 
Cobb89

Also...

I was considering getting a small little novelty hide type thing. Like a castle, or a little cottage thing, w/e tickles my fancy when im at the store. In that regard, is there anything I should steer clear of?
Cobb89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #12 
JKfish

Yep, all petstores should sell some sort or another of the gravel

before you buy the pellets, make sure it has a fish or shrimp meal as the first ingredient. Bettas are carnivores, and thus they need to eat like one. :) Most petstores have a freezer in the back where they might keep something like frozen bloodworms. You could feed a tiny little bit to your betta as a treat occasionally, most bettas love them.

Anything that they are selling in the fish section should be fine for your fish. If you just so happen to have a pair of pantyhose at your house, run it over the ornament to see if it'll rip. If the pantyhose rips, it isn't safe for your fish. If it's safe, rinse it well in hot water before putting it in.

(most shoe stores offer those free little pantyhose sock things for women to wear when trying on shoes. If you don't have pantyhose in your house, those things work well )

Last edited by JKfish; 07-27-2010 at 04:37 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #13 
kuklachica

Just be careful with castles and such because some have small openings. Bettas are very curious and will try to push through things that won't fit them. If your thumb can fit through the hole, it's safe. If your thumb can't fit, then it's not good.

Pellets are much better than flakes, and much less messy. if you go to Petco, I HIGHLY recommend getting the New Life Spectrum betta food (or their small fish pellets, either work, and the small fish pellets actually have more protein than the betta pellets). This is a great brand and my 10 bettas have been doing very well on it compared to the cheaper stuff I used to buy (think, eating hot dogs a lot, versus high quality beef).
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #14 
Cobb89

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I really cant wait till I get into my new place to get my new fish.

I see a lot of you guys have some pretty creative names for your fish. And I suppose thats with good cause, Betta's seem to be very majestic fish, and simple names like Pete just dont seem to do them justice (sorry if I've offended anyone with a betta named pete). With that said, do any of you know of any websites with name suggestions that youve used? Ive come up with a few of my own, but I like to keep my options open.
Cobb89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #15 
kuklachica

I'm pretty sure none (or not many) of us use name sites, but I could be wrong. I think many people name them after their favorite interests (anime, mythology, etc.). Mine are most named after either their color or personalities (i.e. Piglet is pink and is a pig, Dane, yellow and purple named after my alma mater SUNY Albany Dane's, Slimer is green, etc.).
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #16 
Lion Mom

What IS it that people have against flakes???? I feed mine shrimp flakes twice a week to help vary their diet. Don't overfeed the flakes & you won't have any trouble, IMO. :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote