Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2010, 03:17 AM   #1 
loppy656

Question Calicum deposets?

I noticed that one of my tanks had some white stuff in it a few weeks ago and i thought it might be some kind of mold or somthing. So i asked my dad what he tought it might be, and he said that it was just some calcium deposets. Also all the fish who have lived in that tank have gotten finn rot and died from it. I resently got a new fish to replace the one that passed away and I dont want him to have the same problems as the other ones so I cleaned out the fish tank really well. (kinda gettin of topic now) So anyway I'm worried that the calicum deposets (or what ever it is) might be harming my fish in some way. So a way to get rid of it (says my dad) is to soak the tank in vinagur. I would like to know if I can use that on my tank, because I know i can't use soap.

If you have a thory on what the white stuff is I would be delighted to hear it.
loppy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

Where is the "white stuff"?
Do you use salt in your water?
I use salt and it dries off on top of the filter looking white.
But theres calcium in tap water, its normal.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #3 
derpmeister

Tap water has lots of minerals in it that build up on the sides of tanks and dry out, forming the white crusty stuff you see. This is especially noticeable if you have hard water, because there are more minerals in it. I have this on my filter and heater in my tank, and it's safe. The same stuff is in your tank water, but not dried out because it hasn't hit the air. If you don't like the look of it you can always scrape or scrub it off with a new and unused toothbrush.
derpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:14 PM   #4 
Kokonoko

Yea, if the "white stuff" looks crusty and is general at the top of the tank where the waterline -would- be before evaporating, then more then likely this is just calcium deposits. You can clean the tank with vinegar, and it will help int he process of removing the calcium deposits, of course do not clean the tank without removing the fish and such. As a follow up on this method, make sure to rinse everything thuroughly afterwards before adding water again.

Also, calcium will not hurt the fish as far as I know, and this does occur with those that have hard tap water (Like myself). You said you've had previous fish, but I'm unsure how much knowledge you have on fish (No offense, I just don't know personally anything about you =D) so I'd like to advise that you read up on some of the sticky posts about "Taking care of bettas". Healthy and well-kept betta fishes will live for quit a long period of time! =)
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:33 AM   #5 
loppy656

Well the first fish I killed on acadent from to much salt. (you learn from your mistaces) and the other was left with my dad when we left on vacation. Aperntly he died earlyer the day we came back. So it probably wasn't the calicum i guess.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #6 
prettylittlefishy

Your fish should be fine. However its unappealing, and when it happens to me I use vinegar and elbow grease.
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:23 AM   #7 
loppy656

Thanks for all the help. I'm glad it won't hurt my fish and that I can use somthing to help get rid of it.