Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #11 
FloridaBettas239

You need to get one of them blue scrub pad's that are made for aquarium's, Take everything out, wash it really good, scrub the tank with that blue pad, then wait for everything to settle to the bottom, take and siphon from the bottom sucking up all the nasty stuff untill you get like 50% of the water out, Put everything back in the tank, and fill it back up. Now you can buy stuff like, "No more algae" made by jungle and cut the light's back to 5 hour's a day. Then start doing your week water changes 25% and everytime add a little "No more algae".. This will fix the problem, Then if you want to keep your algae in control buy a bushy nose pleco, they only get six inches so its not a big deal for your 10 gallon. And there called one of the best pleco's at cleaning a tank. You can research it.. I have one in my 10 gallon and he does a great job...
Even when I cut my light's back it kept coming back that's when I used the "no more algae" and it was gone, then I got a pleco..
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #12 
Lion Mom

Blue pad if it's a glass tank, white pad if it's acrylic. The blue pad will scratch the heck out of an acrylic tank! :(
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #13 
kimotion

Invest in these:
http://www.petco.com/product/9683/Ma...-Cleaners.aspx

They are SO worth it!
kimotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #14 
thegameksk

Well it still hasnt gotten any better. I checked the filter today only to find that it was covered in algae. I was using algae fix for the past week with no change. Im thinking maybe the filter being covered in algae was the reason why?? I changed it and am hoping for the best.
thegameksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic?

Google- cyanobacteria and make sure that this is not your problem...this is not an algae but a bacteria and requires different treatment than most algae...especially since algaefix is not effective.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:31 AM   #16 
Maryrox247

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshot7567 View Post
there is now a fish friendly "algeacide" =] i used it 24 hours and tank was clear
What brand is it? Which store did you get it at? I want!!!!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:17 AM   #17 
Fermin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Can you post a pic?

Google- cyanobacteria and make sure that this is not your problem...this is not an algae but a bacteria and requires different treatment than most algae...especially since algaefix is not effective.....
^^Yep. I was just going to ask this myself - - - are you sure you don't have a cyanobacterial outbreak? To me, cyano is much more tricky to get rid of than algae.

I had a piece of moss-covered driftwood that started to grow cyano in a dead-zone. I removed the driftwood from my tank. I blasted the driftwood with a combo of hydrogen peroxide spot-treatments, darkness, highly-oxygenated/agitated water, and erythromycin over 7-10 days. Uggh.
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #18 
thegameksk

I looked it up and I still think its algae. I have some pics below. Today I woke up to find one of my Bettas dead. Can algae kill them? I clean it when I can but ive been busy with work lately so now im worried about my other fish dieing... Even when I do clean it, the next day it is back and full force. I only have my light on for about 5 hrs a day now and its still bad.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

You need to balance the lights and nutrients for stronger plant growth to out compete the algae
With sword plants they are slow grower, by adding some stem plants and/or floating plants and a longer photo period that may help to out compete nutrient and light with the algae.

Algae-cide-has been know to kill some fish and plants-I would be careful in its use

It is hard to tell-but on this algae-is it growing in sheet and does it have a smell to it or is it hard to rub off the walls and decorations?

I would clean the algae off, make a large water change, increase the photo period to 10h, add some stem plants and floating plants, and increase the water flow
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #20 
thegameksk

I dont know what growing in sheet means. It doesnt smell and it is easy to clean off. Im getting to the point where I might go back to fake plants. I never had this issue with them. I dont know where id put more plants. As it is I feel like the tank is too cramped in my current setup.

Upon looking closer at my tank, not only is my betta dead but so is my catfish and algae eater. I am so frustrated!

Last edited by thegameksk; 08-17-2010 at 02:09 PM.