Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2010, 08:37 PM   #21 
FloridaBettas239

You need to get some type of "No more algae" kind of medication stuff. You need to do a 50% water change, take everything you can out and clean it really good. Then fill it back up and add the No more algae, and add that, plus cut the light's back to 5 hour's a day. The main and most important thing to coral is light, so I know your not going to hurt your plant's. If you ask the saltwater guy's they cut there light's back to 5 hour's a day and the coral don't die, which is a lot harder to take care of then your plant's. So cut the light's back to 5 hour's, and it wouldn't hurt to get some of them little chinnese algae eatters that don't get but like 2 '' or get a bushy nose that only get 6'' and put him in one section. That algae will be gone quick like.
Another thing is what all are you adding to your tank? When your doing water change's what do you add? This can cause problem's......
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #22 
FloridaBettas239

There is a guy with a business that cleans really nasty green pool's on house's that people just left because the market droped. And this guy uses 13 inch sucker fish to clean the pool's then he will come back remove the fish and finish cleaning and add chlorine.. You get a 6 inch sucker and 2 day's that tank will be clean, Also is your tank by a window or anything where it gets some sun light??
Old 08-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #23 
thegameksk

You need to get some type of "No more algae" kind of medication stuff. You need to do a 50% water change, take everything you can out and clean it really good. Then fill it back up and add the No more algae, and add that, plus cut the light's back to 5 hour's a day. The main and most important thing to coral is light, so I know your not going to hurt your plant's. If you ask the saltwater guy's they cut there light's back to 5 hour's a day and the coral don't die, which is a lot harder to take care of then your plant's. So cut the light's back to 5 hour's, and it wouldn't hurt to get some of them little chinnese algae eatters that don't get but like 2 '' or get a bushy nose that only get 6'' and put him in one section. That algae will be gone quick like.
Another thing is what all are you adding to your tank? When your doing water change's what do you add? This can cause problem's......

I am not using any more medication. I used algaecide and woke up to one of my bettas dead, a catfish dead, and an algae eater dead. Used that crap for a week and the algae just got worse. I cleaned the tank fully and within the day it was green all over again. I have the light down to 5 hours a day and still the same nonsense.
thegameksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #24 
FloridaBettas239

The stuff I used is called " No more algae" made by jungle I think and it didn't effect any bettas or any of my fish I have used it in tropical tank and my divided betta tank without a problem...
I dont know if it is this bad take everything out Put fish in bowl's and start over from scrach, then it's a new beginning for you sorry I couldn't help........
Old 08-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #25 
thegameksk

I didnt mean to come off nasty. If I did I apologize. Im just frustrated.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #26 
Kokonoko

Along this same subject, I have a brown substance growing in my stank, similiar tot he pictures above, just brown. Is this simply brown algea? Also, there seems to be some sort of white 'fuzz' ontop of the areas covered by brown algea. Right now there are multiple objects in my tank that have some of this brown algea on it, but only my cavern has it the worst, along with the fuzz. Reason for concern?
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #27 
MoePaac

Try getting some hornwort or floating plants as OFL suggested. They grow quickly, block some light, and will soak up nutrients hopefully deterring the algae growth. Hornwort you can float if you'd like so you won't have to put it down below and take up more space.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:57 PM   #28 
vaygirl

@Kokonoko - Those are diatoms, they're common in a new tank. They should go away with time. They're not harmful, just really ugly.

@thegameksk - I'm really sorry about your fish and your tank. :( I wish I could offer advice.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #29 
thegameksk

Today I wake up and my 2 catfish were dead. All thats left is one Betta. I cleaned the tank out completely yesterday. I used stability for a new cycle and I awake to one fish left standing.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:40 AM   #30 
FloridaBettas239

I think you need to start new, clean everything really good. With methylene blue if you can!!!....
Then just use the basic stuff like API stress coat plus along with the bacteria supplement. Cycle the tank how you want with fish or without. And then just keep the lights to less than 8 hours a day... And you can add some "no more algae" here and there to keep things under control.
Invest into a water test kit! What were your water conditions when all this was going on???