Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2010, 08:59 PM   #1 
Saroar

Question Question About Habitats

Hello everyone. I'll be getting a betta soon (my first fish!) and i've been lurking around the forums here to get information. (You guys are very helpful and knowledgeable, by the way.)

I've been thinking a lot about how i'll be setting up the aquarium, the size, and whatnot and I haven't seen this mentioned before.

Would it be possible to put dollhouse furniture in the aquarium?
It, of course, wouldn't have sharp edges and I will clean it thuroughly.
I have a bunch of old dollhouse furniture from when I was younger, and it's all plastic.

Would it harm the future betta fish or could it work?
Saroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #2 
bloo97

The paint might come off... but other than that, I think it is fine. Just make sure it is aquarium safe. If the paint comes off then no. The paint can kill your fish. Try leaving it underwater overnight or something like in a cup (That the betta isn't in.)
If the paint comes off no. If it doesn't...well...see what everyone else says.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #3 
Saroar

Alright, thank you very much. :)
I don't think there's paint on it, i think it's just colored plastic, but i'll be sure to check and leave it in water overnight like you said.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #4 
peaches3221

for a betta fish, you should keep him/her in a half gallon MINIMUM, and that is only if you do a water change every week. as for the doll furniture, i wouldn't put anything in the tank that is not made for fish. it probably would be O.K., but just to be safe.
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #5 
Saroar

I've been thinking A LOT about the size of the aquarium because I live in a crowded house and there isn't a lot of room. I think I could squeeze a 2 gallon or maybe even a 2.5 gallon on my dresser or in the kitchen. There's more room in the kitchen, but i'm affraid my cat will jump on the counter and stress out the fish. Or will the fish not care about the cat?

I don't want to harm the future fish, but I want to get creative with the setup. Maybe after the initial test to see if paint comes off I could test to see how the fish reacts to it.
This is my first real fish and i want to do things right.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #6 
KBoone

I think, as long as your tank is secure (i.e. There's a top) that the cat would be a none issue. Mine likes to get-up and watch mine and that's about it. If anything, I think she's more interested in trying to drink their water than actually doing them any harm. (She doesn't climb on my kitchen counter, but I have some in my living room that she likes to investigate )It's really rather funny. I think the cat could care less about the Bettas, but the Bettas flare like crazy when they see her. Amusing.

And honestly, I worry more about the lead content in the paint on the decor we buy that's "made in China" than I do about anything that might leach from the plastic. IMO

AND 2.5 is an excellent size for a small space and will give your fish plenty of room to stretch his fins.

Last edited by KBoone; 07-27-2010 at 09:42 PM.
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #7 
Saroar

Good. The cat was one of the biggest issues. The next biggest issue is money. I'm only 16, so I live with my parents and siblings and whatnot. I have the money, but I just don't know if my parents will let me spend it.

I pretty much know what I need to get for my bettas. My biggest question was about the possibility of using dollhouse furniture. It's up in the air now.
I'm sure i'll figure out some sort of creative set-up. I'm pretty resourceful.
I already have one of those twisty bamboo plants and some pretty blue rocks.
I'm rambling now, haha. I'll stop.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #8 
Saroar

Ahh! I said bettas! As in plural! I think i'm thinking too far into the future. Haha.
I don't even have one yet.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #9 
KBoone

LOL Oh, it'll happen! They're like friggin potato chips! No-one can have just one!
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #10 
Saroar

That's what i've heard.
I'll have to see if I can manage just one first. I'm fairly confident I can do it.

Tags
aquarium, betta, furniture, question