Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #1 
Welsh

New Fish Tank

My mother finally came home and let us out :) and brought with her a new fish tank, its a 8 gallon but looks sooooo much bigger anyway, listen to this, she explained to the LFS that I wanted a tank to divide for 2 male bettas and the woman said............no she can't divide it because the males will flare at each other and its not good for them. This is correct as we all know but she could have given some advice like using tall and floating plants near the divide, attaching moss, etc If I hadn't been a member on this forum I probably would have believed her lol.

Another thing, a bottle of Tetra goldfish de-chlorinater came with the tank, this may be a silly question but can I use this for my bettas?

Last edited by Welsh; 07-27-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #2 
Welsh

Will adding old sand mixed in with new sand help the tank cycle faster, I got a filter in there and a thermometer (which is pointless I know lol) already, its got to be ready by thursday lol
Old 07-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #3 
Welsh

Its not much at the moment I need to clean some fresh sand and it obviously needs some plants and decorations but their going to have to wait a while, plus the tank doesn't have a light. lol Never thought I'd find myself saying something would have to wait but I've been spending my money like its going out of fashion lately lol
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

Do you have any extra foam in your filter? Or any bio-filter stuff like ceramic bits in your filter?

If you do you could take some of that, and put it in your new filter to speed the cycle. =]

The sand thing might work too. =]

Good luck and congrats on your new tank and being freed. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #5 
Welsh

The filter in the tank has just come out of an already cycled tank :)

I've decided not to divide after all, instead i'm going to put my new betta in there, just don't know what to do with the shrimp lol

Haha thanks, it feels so good to be able to roam the house again
Old 07-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #6 
balloon

Looking good so far Welsh! I got my Betta Fish yesterday :)
balloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #7 
Welsh

Thanks :) Did you, I'm getting mine thursday all 3 of them haha Have you got a pic of yours?
Old 07-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #8 
balloon

Cool Welsh! Yeah, I made my own thread, it's below yours. I have two photos.. the tank is 1 gallon.. but I wasn't allowed anything bigger :(
balloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #9 
Welsh

Do you think the tank will be safe to put my betta in tomorrow? It does have sand from an already established tank also a used filter from another tank, heater, stone bridge and I also added some tetras, the thing is one died last night, it seems that he got trapped behind the filter :( what do you reckon, safe or not safe? lol
Old 07-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #10 
wallywestisthebest333

I'd fix that filter-trapping bit before you do anything. =[ Sorry you lost your tetra. =[ I'm sure it's in heaven. <=]

Also if you can, test the water to see where the ammonia levels and such are. If everything's cool then add your fish! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote