Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2010, 01:29 AM   #21 
Adastra

You should feed your betta and your shrimp every day--it is best to do it in small quantities twice a day.

I too originally fell into the purple waffle trap. Oh well, you can take it out of the aquarium and put it in a vase--it will grow roots and be a pretty houseplant at least. :) Planted tanks are definitely the way to go--they absorb nitrates/ammonia and they're very beautiful and rewarding to grow. If you like the look of the purple waffle, there are some crypts that have a purple-ish look to them, although they need enriched substrate or root tabs to really thrive.

Did you test the rocks to see if they were limestone/sandstone? Some rocks will leach minerals into the water, causing the pH/Hardness to increase. The changes in water params caused by these rocks can have negative side effects for your betta--you may want to make sure these rocks are safe for aquarium use. Generally you can use obsidian, jasper, petrified wood, granite, quartz and most other crystalline rocks. Stay away from rainbow rock, mica, pyrite, limestone, sandstone, coral, or fossils of any kind.

Do you plan on using any fertilizers? I use the Seachem line of liquid ferts--Seachem Flourish Comprehensive is a good general liquid fertilizer.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:41 AM   #22 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
You should feed your betta and your shrimp every day--it is best to do it in small quantities twice a day.

I too originally fell into the purple waffle trap. Oh well, you can take it out of the aquarium and put it in a vase--it will grow roots and be a pretty houseplant at least. :) Planted tanks are definitely the way to go--they absorb nitrates/ammonia and they're very beautiful and rewarding to grow. If you like the look of the purple waffle, there are some crypts that have a purple-ish look to them, although they need enriched substrate or root tabs to really thrive.

Did you test the rocks to see if they were limestone/sandstone? Some rocks will leach minerals into the water, causing the pH/Hardness to increase. The changes in water params caused by these rocks can have negative side effects for your betta--you may want to make sure these rocks are safe for aquarium use. Generally you can use obsidian, jasper, petrified wood, granite, quartz and most other crystalline rocks. Stay away from rainbow rock, mica, pyrite, limestone, sandstone, coral, or fossils of any kind.

Do you plan on using any fertilizers? I use the Seachem line of liquid ferts--Seachem Flourish Comprehensive is a good general liquid fertilizer.
Aw darn! =[ It's not an aquatic plant! Oh well. =/

I said this in another thread but I feel it needs to be said again:

YOUR TANK IS AMAZING!!!! It looks MUCH bigger than 2.5 gallons! =]

Yeah I hope the rock doesn't cause you to have hard water. =[ I don't think bettas heal well in hard water if they get sick.... =[ Mine's as hard as the test kit will indicate and that's without rocks that can alter chemistry. =[
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:47 AM   #23 
Sicklidae

I feed my betta and my shrimp every day, but I skip one day a week.

Yea, I was thinking about crypt wendtii, I like them. I've had crypts before. Someone on TPT suggested Alternanthera Reineckii, I looked it up, and it looks good, so that one is another possible candidate.

Someone said the rocks were granite, there is TONS of granite where I live, so I wouldn't doubt it. There is an old granite quarry down the street from me.

I'm not too sure on the ferts, the tank is so small, I don't want the plants to grow too quickly, lol.
Sicklidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:01 AM   #24 
Sicklidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
Aw darn! =[ It's not an aquatic plant! Oh well. =/
Yea, I was pretty bummed about the purple waffle

Quote:
I said this in another thread but I feel it needs to be said again:

YOUR TANK IS AMAZING!!!! It looks MUCH bigger than 2.5 gallons! =]
Thanks again

Quote:
Yeah I hope the rock doesn't cause you to have hard water. =[ I don't think bettas heal well in hard water if they get sick.... =[ Mine's as hard as the test kit will indicate and that's without rocks that can alter chemistry. =[
I used to have an Amazon blackwater tank, all the fish preferred soft, acidic water.
If you want to make your water softer, you could collect rainwater and just filter it with a simple carbon filter, and ta-da! cheap soft water You would then take your soft water and mix it with proper proportions of your hard tap water to get the desired hardness.
The other option, is some LFS sell RO water, its rather pricey though.
But, soft water is prone to becoming more acidic faster than hard alkaline water, so be careful with that

Last edited by Sicklidae; 07-29-2010 at 02:11 AM.
Sicklidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:24 AM   #25 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklidae View Post
I used to have an Amazon blackwater tank, all the fish preferred soft, acidic water.
If you want to make your water softer, you could collect rainwater and just filter it with a simple carbon filter, and ta-da! cheap soft water You would then take your soft water and mix it with proper proportions of your hard tap water to get the desired hardness.
The other option, is some LFS sell RO water, its rather pricey though.
But, soft water is prone to becoming more acidic faster than hard alkaline water, so be careful with that
I'll try that but I'll have to check the PH of the rain first. Unfortunately we live right down the interstate from a new coal-fired power plant. =[ with those comes heavily acidic rain. =[

It's much easier than what I've been doing though! XD
I've been using a britta pitcher to fill up gallon jugs for a while. That's getting old fast as it takes forever and I forget to change the filter sometimes and I end up with hard water again! XD
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote