Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #1 
lovetfk

Exclamation What do i do?!!!!!!

ok people heres the thing...i want to get a new betta but i dont know if i need a heater,a filter,and such? i know i need a heater but what kind of heater do i need? i was thinking of just getting a gallon tank or should i get bigger? are plants better for a betta and will i need a lot? do i need water conditioning stuff ? do i need a filter and what kind?should i feed it bloodworms,live things to eat or just normal betta food that you get at the store? please help! i want my betta to live a long and happy life with me. I had a betta once but i just kept it in a fish bowl without a heater, filter, or plants. i fed it the normal betta pelits you can get at the store. he died about a year or two later but i want to know if he was suffering. i most likely wont breed them until later, so i just want one for a pet right now...so PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

thanx:):(

Last edited by lovetfk; 07-17-2010 at 09:33 PM.
lovetfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #2 
mjbn

heater is a must. I'd suggest getting a 2.5 gallon atleast. Heater for that size tank i can not recommend, im sorry. But its up to you on the filter part, it makes you have to do less water changes though so id suggest it.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #3 
creamcookie

Yes you will DEFINITELY need a heater, and I highly recommend should get a filter if you don't want to do very constant water changes. The filter shouldn't be strong because bettas don't like strong currents. A gallon tank is the minimum, your future betta would be waaaay happier if you got him something bigger. I feed my bettas hikari biogold baby sized pellets, they work fine for me. Yes, you need water conditioning, Prime is a good brand. Bettas enjoy plants and decoration such as caves, I keep live ones because they improve water quality plus I like the look. Really easy beginner plants that aren't too big include anubias, java moss, and java fern. Hope your new tank goes good!
creamcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #4 
Astro277

I suggest a eclpise 2.5 gallon at the smallest, It comes with a built in filter so thats not a probleam. You will need a adjustable heater. Water conditioner is a MUST.
Plants are great just make sure you get the silky plants that wont rip a bettas long fins, Live Plants are better though such as java moss or jave fern.

I like switching up feeding mine. One day they get blood worms the next pellets and the following flakes . Sometimes if you feed just pellets or just flakes it can cause a betta to become bored and they will become tail-biters.

And if you decide to breed in the future please be responsible about it and not breed pet-store bettas.
Astro277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:47 PM   #5 
peaches3221

bettas DO NOT REQUIRE A HEATER/FILTER!! your betta can live a happy life in a half gallon container as long as you clean it once a week!!
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

If they're kept in a cold room then they need a heater.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:43 PM   #7 
XSprinkleFaceX

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches3221 View Post
bettas DO NOT REQUIRE A HEATER/FILTER!! your betta can live a happy life in a half gallon container as long as you clean it once a week!!
They definatly do require a heater. They're sensitive tropical fish that need to have their water temperature between 76-82 degrees. The filter is not needed but I HIGHLY recommend it since it makes the maintenance much easier. I'd recommend to get at least a 2.5 G tank at the least. But if can only get a 1G than make sure you keep up with the water changes. The bigger the tank the easier to manitain.
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #8 
Campbell

Well, depending on the temp of the room you're keeping them in you might not NEED a heater... at least not yet. If you want, get your tank and everything set up then see what the temp. is before you go and buy a heater. I've had mine unplugged for almost a month and the tanks stay about 77. So if you don't have the cash right now they might be fine in the warmer months until you can save more.

Last edited by Campbell; 07-18-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #9 
MoePaac

Reading this would be a good place to start: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #10 
frogipoi

Post Peaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches3221 View Post
This is kinda wrong. A heater is a must in the cold seasons unless you want a cold unhappy fish. Temp is dangerous and you can't depend on luck forever peaches. A filter is a recommended thing and will be helpful during the cleaning period. A half gallon tank is too small and will need more cleaning then that! Peaches, a happy betta would be in a 2.5 gallon or a 5 gallon not a half gallon. PM me if you want to defend your post.
Back to topic, a good tank would be a 3-5 gallon tank with a nice filter and smooth rocks at the bottom and a few plants to make the tank less boring. A nice background and a good light. Also an adjustable heater is highly recommended. Also have a thermometer to keep tract of heat. You will need water conditioner to make the water safe. Test the water and cycle it and that should be a good tank.
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote