Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2010, 12:56 AM   #1 
Cobb89

Went to a local shop today...

I went to a local pet store to do some looking around today. Still doing some price research and such, getting all my options on tanks and the like.

Today I went to a locally owned pet store specializing in fish. They do sell dog/cat food just to get some extra business, but fish is their niche. I was expecting to get a lot of useful information and a wide variety of betta's to look at. I was surprisingly disapointed.

The clerk said that I would only need what couldn't have amounted to more than a half gallon tank. He said that substrate of some form was for little more than show. And when I mentioned a heater you would have thought I was speaking in German or something...

And in general, he just wasn't knowledgeable at all about the species. He didn't know that there were different varieties of Betta. Meaning, he didnt know the difference between a veiltail and a half moon. He said they get in shipments of Betta and sell them all for the same price.

Based on all that I saw/heard/learned in my trip....

I probably won't be taking any advice from this place, and probably wont be buying any tank and such equipment from them. However....I might try to get a half moon if one comes in. He said their Betta's were like 6.99 or so. I think the veiltail's at Petsmart were a few bucks less, but the half moons were around 14. Thats 50 percent off if I could find one. I do, however, worry about the condition of the fish when I get to it. But I figure if I get it shortly after the store receives it, the condition would just the same as it would be at Petco or Petsmart.

I still think I'm gonna start with a 2.5. Then in a few months I might move up to a 10, divide the tank, and add another Betta. Or instead of dividing it, I might add a snail or something of that nature. The options are really endless, but I'm going to start small and work up.
Cobb89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:30 AM   #2 
kuklachica

I had the same exact experience with my local fish specialty store. I was lectured on how they can live in a tablespoon of water, don't need a heater, blah blah blah and he thought crown tails were the next best thing since sliced bread and didn't know of any other tail types except VT. To them, bettas are just easy money makers and "Fad" fish, rather than actual hobbies. They owner was very rude, so I decided I would not be giving him my business. With all the faults of the big stores, I'd rather give them my money because they were more knowledgeable and customer friendly.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #3 
wallywestisthebest333

I like your style Cobb98. =]

Hate that the store didn't know anything but glad you found a place for cheap halfmoons! =]

Good luck with your plans! =]

If you want something that's about 2 gallons may I suggest the heritage hill 2 gallon clear decorative jar at walmart?

It's like a big cookie jar except clear. =] Just ditch the lid and it makes a great 2 gal tank/hospital tank. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:43 AM   #4 
vilmarisv

Since you're getting a new tank and I know how much the 2.5 kits run for, I saw that the Mini Bow 2.5 is back for $24 at Petsmart.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...1436&lmdn=Fish
It's even cheaper than the 1 galon at the stores!
This is the tank I have and I'm kinda upset because I just got 2 tanks of ebay, they are the same tanks but with red and blue lids and the filter it very different.
I mean, the tanks are fine! They were a good deal and they came with new bulbs, new filter media and thermometers but it ticks me off that they are not black and that the filter takes more space in the tank than the others I have.
Paranoid much? I know! Sorry I'm rambling.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #5 
Cobb89

Thanks for the tank suggestion vil. Do you know if that deal is being run in store? Or just online?
Cobb89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #6 
vilmarisv

Last time they lowered the price, it wasn't at the stores.
I meant to ask if they would grant online prices but never got around it.
Last time I went (Saturday) these tanks were $47 in store.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #7 
WillowTree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb89 View Post
Thanks for the tank suggestion vil. Do you know if that deal is being run in store? Or just online?
My local Petsmart honors their website sale prices if you bring a print out of the online page. Very helpful!
WillowTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #8 
JKfish

Cobb, in my mind, it'd almost be better to get a 10 gallon, and cycle it, instead of buying that and a small tank. While you search for a betta, you can set it up perfectly that way when you get him, everything will be ready, and if you want you can just divide the tank.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:26 PM   #9 
Sicklidae

Haha, yea... thats sounds about right. I've been big into fish my whole life and never knew a thing about bettas until recently. I can say many people I know that are "fish" people are more into cichlids, and exotic fish that aren't your average community fish, and I can tell you that quite a few people I know think of bettas as a child's fish.
I got laughed at when I said I had a betta now! lol

I noticed not too many people at LFS are knowledgeable about bettas, but they would tell you about something like bichirs all day. I got the same lecture at my LFS about the heater and size of a tank for a betta.
Sicklidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #10 
vilmarisv

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTree View Post
My local Petsmart honors their website sale prices if you bring a print out of the online page. Very helpful!
REALLY?!?!
I'm going to have to try that!!