Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #1 
germanchick09

New Bettas

I finally decided to buy 2 bettas the other day. I went and bought the male and the female today. At first i thought they were not gonna get along because the male(Jaws) kept chasing the female(Bella) around my tank. But Bella soon showed Jaws that she is the boss...lol it is really interesting to watch. One minute she will 'cuddle' with him, the next she flares up and he hides in a corner...so cute
germanchick09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #2 
CayennePepper

Wait. Are you trying to breed them? It kinda sounds like you're not trying to but are just trying to keep them together to live together...
I'm wrong, right?
CayennePepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:28 PM   #3 
Learn To Fly

You really shouldn't keep a male and female together unless you're planning on breeding them. The male or female could kill the other one and it causes a lot of stress.
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:28 PM   #4 
kuklachica

Welcome to the forum! Males and females should NOT be housed together unless you are an experienced breeder. Even then, they are only together for several hours. Your bettas will kill each other. I strongly suggest that you remove one of them before one of them dies. Please refer to our General Betta Care sticky for more information on bettas and how to set up their living areas.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #5 
germanchick09

they are perfectly fine together, i have been watching them for the past hour. ive had bettas before and never had them alone, always in pairs, never had any problems, thanks for the input though guys
Old 07-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #6 
kuklachica

How many gallons is your tank? I really strongly suggest you separate them; it is just asking for fights, wounds, and most likely eventually one dying.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #7 
CayennePepper

Thats really interesting. How many bettas have you had before? How do you introduce them? I'd think they would either right off the bat fight or try to mate. How do you do it? Are they spayed/neutered? J/K. Well, welcome to the forum.
CayennePepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #8 
germanchick09

i know i read that stuff all the time, but these two arent fighting at all...ive never had any problems with any pairs i put together
Old 07-26-2010, 09:44 PM   #9 
germanchick09

hey thanks Cayenne Pepper, i just stick them together...i usually put the female in 1st, this is my 6th pair, i actually had a betta male that i bought back in germany 7 years ago and he just died a few month ago
Old 07-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #10 
kuklachica

You may not have any problems now, but they are aggressive. The betta splendens that we buy in the store are not peaceful enough to live together (unless in carefully monitored female sororities). There are other species of bettas that can live together, male and female, but these are not the type that are sold in pet stores. Their behavior can change at an moment, and their instinct is to be territorial and aggressive. By putting them together, even if they don't fight, they will be incredibly stressed out, with lower immune systems, and most likely will succumb to illness.

You could consider house a betta and a snail, fresh water shrimp, or, if your tank is big enough, other community fish.

How big is your tank?