Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

His symptoms-not eating for a week and inactive, his color is good, fins okay, not bloated correct?

Is he the only Betta in this tank, water temp, how much and how often are the water changes, any live plants and filtration, additives used and medication used lately, how long have you had him.

How long has he been acting sick? and did he perk up any after the water change?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #12 
weluvbettas

he is not bloated. i do water changes every 3 days the last one was today. he perked up for about 2 minutes then sat back on the bottom . he is the only male in the tank. i treated him for fin rot about 2 months ago. he is about a year old the water temp is about 80 to 82 f . there are 2 amazon swords in his tank
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Filtration? sitting on the bottom and not eating happen at the same time? what kind of treatment did you use for the fin rot? Have you seen any poop and if so what does it look like?

At this point you could try- salt treatment in QT-Aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with daily water changes, lower the water level, cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to help keep the air warm and humid- to keep him comfy and so he doesn't have to struggle to get air.
I am not sure what is wrong, you give great care to your Bettas and provide the right environment, being a year old I don't think it is age related, you ruled out environment as a cause with the water changes and used the right amount of dechlorinator and like temp, water temp is good...sorry, I wish I could be of more help...maybe someone else will have other ideas......
Old 07-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #14 
weluvbettas

there is no filteration because i could never get a perfect filter that my betta liked.
i treated him with aqaurium salt when he had fin rot. last time i looked his poop was whiteish
Old 07-28-2010, 06:17 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

That could be internal parasites, is the poop stringy or just white?

IMO/E-you don't have to have a filter with this species, but it can make water changes easier from cycling.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #16 
weluvbettas

can a put a filter in then? or will i have to take the fish out while it cycles? the poo was long. is it internal parasites?
Old 07-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #17 
frogipoi

Probably
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like internal parasites, there are OTC meds that you can use for that, since I don't use them I can't recommend any...sorry...

You can safely cycle the tank with the Betta in the tank provided that you make the needed water changes, once cycled-that would cut your water changes down to 50% weekly btw......
Old 07-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #19 
weluvbettas

how many water changes do i need to do while its cycling?
Old 07-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #20 
Oldfishlady

In a 6g tank with one betta and 2 live plants-50% water changes every 2-3 days with substrate cleaning every 7 days in all areas that can be reached without moving anything or disruption of plant roots, filter media swished/rinsed in old tank water 1-2 times a month and when the water flow slows to get the big pieces of gunk off-you want the filter media to look dirty.

If you added more plants like stem and floating plants-you could still cut the water changes down to weekly 50% without the filter, active growing plants will use the ammonia before it is a problem for the Betta.