Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #1 
Cobb89

Eventual Plans for 10 Gallon...

I was considering eventually getting a 10 gallon tank, putting in a divider and having two male bettas with 5 gallons each. But then I read on here somewhere that the two of them would likely flare at one another through the divider. Thus hurting themselves and such.

Can I have two males in a divided tank? Whats the best way to go about doing that?

If there are any threads out there on the best way to do a seperated tank please point me in that direction. I need all the information I can get on techniques, materials for the divider, how to set the divider up and so forth. Anything and everything will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Alex
Cobb89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:02 AM   #2 
RandomFish

Hi Alex, a lot of people have divided tanks for two males. This is a popular and cheap method for DIY dividers:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=40025

I like to use two dividers made of black mesh and space them about an inch apart. You can place a filter in each section (sponge filters running from a single air pump using a 3-way or 2-way airline tubing divider can work) and can even hide the heater in the inch-wide section in the center. The front of the center section can hold a decoration. To illustrate:

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/x...vamosswall.jpg

(^ please excuse the dark water from the Indian Almond Leaves)
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:13 AM   #3 
Cobb89

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna stick with the 2.5 for a good while and then move up when im (financially) ready
Old 07-29-2010, 01:14 AM   #4 
Adastra

I use the craft mesh technique--you can sew various things onto craft mesh to block your bettas from viewing each other like leaves from silk plants, or layer on more craft mesh. Personally, I sewed live java moss onto my craft mesh across the areas the fish swim most often, leaving some open areas for the water to flow through. If you do this, you will have to trim the moss regularly, if the moss grows too long, the moss underneath it will lose access to the light and die off--causing the moss to separate from the mesh. Make sure it's placed in an area that gets sufficient fluorescent light.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #5 
Cobb89

Thanks for the ideas. Maybe I could get two things of craft mesh, put them an inch or two apart, and plant some silk plants between the two layers.