Betta Fish Forum banner

Eventual Plans for 10 Gallon...

637 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Cobb89 
#1 ·
I was considering eventually getting a 10 gallon tank, putting in a divider and having two male bettas with 5 gallons each. But then I read on here somewhere that the two of them would likely flare at one another through the divider. Thus hurting themselves and such.

Can I have two males in a divided tank? Whats the best way to go about doing that?

If there are any threads out there on the best way to do a seperated tank please point me in that direction. I need all the information I can get on techniques, materials for the divider, how to set the divider up and so forth. Anything and everything will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Alex

#2 ·
Hi Alex, a lot of people have divided tanks for two males. This is a popular and cheap method for DIY dividers:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=40025

I like to use two dividers made of black mesh and space them about an inch apart. You can place a filter in each section (sponge filters running from a single air pump using a 3-way or 2-way airline tubing divider can work) and can even hide the heater in the inch-wide section in the center. The front of the center section can hold a decoration. To illustrate:

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx257/YouBettaGetBetta/javamosswall.jpg

(^ please excuse the dark water from the Indian Almond Leaves)

#4 ·
I use the craft mesh technique--you can sew various things onto craft mesh to block your bettas from viewing each other like leaves from silk plants, or layer on more craft mesh. Personally, I sewed live java moss onto my craft mesh across the areas the fish swim most often, leaving some open areas for the water to flow through. If you do this, you will have to trim the moss regularly, if the moss grows too long, the moss underneath it will lose access to the light and die off--causing the moss to separate from the mesh. Make sure it's placed in an area that gets sufficient fluorescent light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.