Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #1 
JosShavaughn

BIG announcement: Behold!!

I figured I should start my own thread for this amazing day in Zombie's life.

Zombie has a new home. I got him a Tetra 1.5g tank. It came w/ light and filter. I can't afford a heater still. They were more expensive at walmart than they were online. So his home isn't complete, but it's sure better than his pint sized vase. On the filter's the smallest one they had was 2-15 gallon I think it said. So I guess it would work since Zombie's home is almost a 2 g. He'll only have to wait until Monday for a heater.

His "townhome"(it's a big step up from his efficiency, but it's certainly not an actual house yet) comes complete w/ a cave thingy. It's fake wood that he can go inside to hide/sleep, w/ built-on plants, and then I got him 2 other plants, but it was too crowded w/ both, so I just put one in there. When he gets the 5g I want, he can have more stuff. Oh and speaking of the 5g. I looked at all of the tanks and the 5g that comes w/ the filter and light was $40, I couldn't afford that. I looked at this $10 tank that came w/ a filter, but it looked really cheap, so I spent the extra $10 and got him the middle of the road tank. Oh and I also got him some new rocks. I didn't think the leftover gravel I had would cover the bottom, but it did, but I worry that there's sharp pieces in there, and so I put the big, smooth, round rocks on top. I don't want him hurting himself.

You know when I got Zombie, I wanted a little friend to live w/ me, since I don't want a real person living w/ me. And I've become very attached. I really want the best for Zombie. I know at first ya'll were frustrated that I didn't put the right effort into providing for him originally, but as I promised, when I had the money, I got him a proper home. I talk to him. I told him "Look Zombie, I got you a new home. See (leaned out of the way), it's over there!" Zombie really was listening. He started flittering his little fins faster, and once I think he saw his home across the loveseat he starting swimming really fast around his vase. He's excited. I'm semi-cycling the tank right now. The instructions say to leave it on for a day w/o the fish, and I put some fish food in there like the website someone sent me to said, to build up the ammonia and good bacteria in there.

But enough, look at the pictures!
Attached Images

JosShavaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:11 PM   #2 
Amour

Congrats on the new tank. I had that one before I decided to get mine the five gallon one.

One thing though, those plastic plants are 99% guaranteed to rip Zombie's fins and most likely give him fin rot. I learned that the hard way. You should only have live or silk plants.
Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #3 
bubblesthefish

Very nice! Good for you! I bet zombie is much happier! I have some plastic plants-a good way to test them is to run something that rips easily like pantyhose over them and see what happens. As long as there are no sharp parts you should be fine. (I think silk plants are ugly).
bubblesthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #4 
bubblesthefish

Also, I bought a heater (I live in phoenix, so it's hot) but the light itself is keeping my tank at a pretty solid 79-81. So you may be able to put off getting a heater for awhile anyway. (I know I'll need mine once it starts to get cooler outside). I just got a 2 dollar glass thermometer to keep in there just in case.
bubblesthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #5 
JosShavaughn

The plants that are attached to the wood thingy are silk, and I can't tell if the other plant is plastic or not. They looked softer than the obvious plastic plants, and I just felt it, and it wasn't too hard/rough or anything. I think the stand alone plant will be fine, but if I notice a nick or anything on Zombie I'll take it out immediately.

Oh and ya'll may get mad, but I couldn't afford the $12 ammonia testing strips, so I'm semi-cycling the tank w/o testing it. Just using the techniques on the website and going off the instructions from the tank.

But overall I think Zombie will like his new home. He can definitely get more exercise, well exercise period, in this tank. I may not fast him this Sunday since he'll get so much more activity, I may wait until NEXT sunday to fast him again once he's settled in. Any thoughts?
Old 07-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #6 
Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amour View Post

One thing though, those plastic plants are 99% guaranteed to rip Zombie's fins and most likely give him fin rot. I learned that the hard way. You should only have live or silk plants.
This is really exaggerated. Just do the pantyhose test, and if they pass you shouldn't worry. I've never had a problem with my plastic plants. I'm so glad Zombie is doing well!
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #7 
vaygirl

Tango used to have that tank. I still have it downstairs. The pantyhose trick is the way to go. If you find any sharpness, try a nail file. I never tried it but it might work. It looks cute. I bet he's enjoying exploration.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #8 
JosShavaughn

He's not in the new tank yet guys. It's cycling. He'll get to get in it once I wake up in the morning. I also got a net for zombie, so I can more easily move him from the vase to the new tank.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #9 
vaygirl

Doh! I even read that. I bet he's enjoying thinking about exploration. That's what I get for holding a conversation with my husband and typing at the same time.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #10 
Fermin

Great job! Congrats to Zombie on his new home!
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote