Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2010, 11:34 PM   #1 
haledjian

Question Betta Fish Fight Overnight!

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum. I need help on what I should do about my betta fish's torn fins. I have a 10g tank with a divider separating two bettas. When I was asleep, one of them slipped through the side of the divider and came into contact with the other betta. When I woke up, I found both bettas on the same side with extremely torn fins. One of the bettas have a fin that is dragging because it wasn't torn all the way. My questions are: Will the torn fins ever grow back? What should I do about the dragging fin to prevent it from infection?

Also, I have two female bettas together in a separate tank. I read that females don't fight, but I notice that one of the females always bother the other one. I think it might have a torn fin now. Is this normal for female bettas?

Thank you for your help! I'm a new betta owner so I'm trying my best to take care of them
haledjian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Adding some aquarium salt to the water should help the fins to heal. Females can be as aggressive as males. Qith only 2 females, one will become dominant over the other and harrass the other one to death.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:35 AM   #3 
haledjian

Thank you for your response! I currently use Bettafix medication drops. Is that a sufficient substitute for aquarium salt? Also, what should I do about the fin shreds that are barely hanging on to the betta fish? Should I remove them?
haledjian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:24 AM   #4 
FloridaBettas239

betta fix is more for an infection, It is not the same as using aquarium salt. You dont want to dose your betta if nothing is wrong yet. Right now you just want them to rest and relax in a bath of fresh water aquarium salt. It help's wound's so much just like epsion salt helps are cuts and stuff...
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #5 
miyko

my male had a hanging fin on his tail at one point i left it and just watched him for a few days to see how he was doign with it.... he seems uncomfortable at first but now that his fins are growing back its like it never happened and he is a happy boy
miyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:41 PM   #6 
rockstarbettas

I had this happen when Deuce and Kanye got together-- same situation. I use aqaurium salts and stress coat for it and they are both in great shape now! Save your melafix until something is wrong.
rockstarbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:59 AM   #7 
BDABETTA

I am also new to the forum. One of my betta's is always gettin litle holes in his tail, i use a small dose of Bettafix and the hole has usually gone within a few days. If his tail is that bad I would use the aquarium salts.
BDABETTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:41 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

I would avoid using bettafix as much as possible. The main ingredient in it is known to cause problems with betta's labyrinth organ. Dosing with aquarium salt for 10 days and doing daily water changes will help the most, also raising the temp a little bit.

The hanging fin will either necrose and fall or the fish will bite it off if it annoys him enough.

About your females... females are just as aggressive as males and if you want to keep them in a sorority you need to have 6+ females so the aggression is spread around. If you have only two females eventually one will seriously injure or even kill the other. There is a very good sticky about female sororities at the top of the board.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote