Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #1 
broktreeVT

Can't get NitrIte to go down!

My girlfriend and I both got a betta of our own about a month an a half ago. Two identical 2.5 gallon tanks, same gravel, same artificial plant types, they have been receiving the same food, etc.

My GFs tank water has been perfect ever since we started using test strips, and my tank water was perfect for a while, but then I noticed the nitrIte was getting into the 1-3 ppm level. I am using API Stress Zyme and Stress Coat and am doing weekly 40% or so water changes. I have some API aquarium salt I put in as well. I just can't figure out why I keep getting high nitrite in one and not the other?

Any suggestions?
broktreeVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #2 
FloridaBettas239

So this happen to me on my 55 gallon, the tank had cycled everything is all good. And then nitrite levels and nitrate levels started going up. Some nitrate is harmless, but nitrite is bad.
Anyway I called my friend who is the manager at petsmart and he said from doing to big of water changes or if the good bacteria that started growing during the cycle was not that strong. Then the tank would start a small cycle over again and the nitrite and nitrate would go up. He said as long as there is no ammonia then thats even better.
But this is what he said to do, A 25% water change... this is to try to get as much of that bad water out as you can without putting a strain on the good bacteria. Then he said you take your water conditioner and do your water change just like normal. But when you add the stress zyme which has the good bacteria in it you doubble the dose.. So if it says 1ml per gallon you put 2ml per gallon. Your trying to get a good colony of the bacteria built up, In 24 hours test the water and write down the results compare them to yesterdays. And then dont do anything for a week but test it everyday making sure the levels are going down. there not going to jump down it will be a little slow, then after not doing anything for a week, then start water changes but not huge ones just 25% unless you dont have a filter...
What kind of filters do you have on these tanks?
And remember no 2 tanks are the same the bacteria grows at different rates and one could be stronger than another...
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:02 PM   #3 
broktreeVT

Ok thanks for the info! I panicked when it happened before and did a full 100% change with new gravel and everything since I couldn't get the levels to drop. Which I guess completely started the cycling process over.

On the plus side, Chuck is very playful and makes a bubble nest about once a week, so I know he is happy. I just know that the test strips legend says i'm in the "Stress" level for nitrite.

I guess I will change out some of the water tonight and do what you suggest. I have been adding extra stress zyme all week, so hopefully soon it will get better soon.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #4 
broktreeVT

Oh, you had asked about filters, I don't have one on either tank, I was hoping to have to avoid them. Although I know i'll need to get a heater for them at some point too.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:53 PM   #5 
Amour

If you don't have a filter you're going to need to be doing a lot more water changes. Nitrates and Nitrites and all that stuff apply to a filtered tank. Unfiltered tanks can't be cycled because the filter is what keeps the good bacteria in them.

So with no filter most people suggest 100% water change once a week and 50% twice a week.

Also, test strips are really inaccurate.

Hope this helps.
Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:56 PM   #6 
Sicklidae

Stress Zyme is garbage. The bacteria in it are not self sustainable. They will die off, and they require you to replenish them every week. The Stress Zyme doesn't even contain nitrifying bacteria. It doesn't speed up the nitrogen cycle, many people are terribly mislead about it.

The only product I know of that contains self sustainable nitrifying bacteria is BIO-Spira, which turned in SafeStart. I've never used it, but I've heard good things.
Sicklidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #7 
FloridaBettas239

I thought you had a filter... since you dont, your going to want to do 100% water changes, with aged water.
Fill up gallon jugs with conditioner and all, how ever many gallons your tank is fill that many gallon jugs up...
Let them sit and age for 2 or 3 days then do the 100% water change, the betta will not be getting shocked by tap water.. Soon as you do your water change fill the jugs back up because in 2 or 3 days your going to need to do another change and you want your water 2 or 3 days old..
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote