Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #1 
animallover4lyfe

Breeding: Use a filter or not?

What is your opinion on filters while breeding, should i use one or not?
animallover4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I don't use any filtration in either my spawning tanks or fry tanks, but I also have lots of live active growing plants.

Other breeder use sponge type filtration without any issues too.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #3 
animallover4lyfe

What kind of live plants do you use?
Old 07-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #4 
animallover4lyfe

So if you don't use filters how often are you changing water? Are you just taking out 20%??
Old 07-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

In the spawning and fry tanks I use a natural planted tank with soil/dirt substrate and sand cap.
Plants-java moss, java fern, hygrophila, Mexican oak leaf, water wisteria, ludwigia, myriophyllum, rotala, cobomba, tiger lily, crypt, vals, sags, swords and floating plants water lettuce and duckweed

Due to the design of my NPT set-ups I don't make water changes on the spawning tank (full to the top with water) on a regular basis, but I will usually make a 50-75% the day I introduce the pair (regular weekly water changes are recommended on standard set-ups), however, I do make 50% daily water changes once I start feeding the fry (live foods) and after they are transferred to grow-out tanks to get best growth and development.

I started this method several years ago and have had great success as compared to the bare bottom/half tank water method/semi-planted/gravel, both methods are good IMO/E-I just like the natural method better...its what works for me.......

Lots of different ways to spawn and rear fry-after lots of research you will find many methods that work well for people, it is finding what works best for you, your breeders, set-ups, source water...etc......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:43 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

IMO.. with the traditional 5-10 gallon set up a filter is a good thing to have but doesn't necessarily lower the amount of water changes required. Not only are fry very messy (because of multiple daily feedings) but they secret a hormone designed to stunt the growth of their brothers and sisters. A cycled filter will not take out this hormone so it is necessary still to do daily/every-other-day partial water changes to remove as much of the hormone as possible.

I've seen this first hand with my multicolor fry. I thought that since I had so few fry I could skip a water change here and there and now all my fry are small and I'm seeing some smaller than others.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote