Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2010, 11:54 AM   #1 
sharon

zzzzzzz?

I knew Betta's rested on leaves etc but I wasn't prepared for just how much mine sleeps!I thought he was dead for a while, now I,m getting used to him lurking around at the bottom, there's nothing wrong, he eats well, swims about, flares at me when I make my coffee and usually surfaces when food arrives, I thought fish don't have lids but i swear his eyes shut!
sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #2 
kuklachica

Do you have a heater in the tank with him? They can be quite lethargic if their temps are too low.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #3 
wallywestisthebest333

If you don't have a heater I suggest the Marineland Stealth (regular NOT PRO) or the Hydor Theo. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:59 AM   #4 
sharon

zzzz?

well, I posted that post in jest but my betta has actually died yesterday! I am an experience fish keeper for many years and have a 95gall and a 30 gall tank but I dont seem to have much luck with Bettas, my first died, no signs of illness, disease or anything else, I killed my second by misreading dosage instructions on general tonic(still REALLY gutted about that, and my third just seemed to sleep more than usual then was at the bottom yesterday, water tests fine, has filtration and heater, was eating his normal food, had a little 8 gall biorb(not everyones choice but shouldent have actually killed him),there was nothing in the atmosphere like fumes ect,he was between the smooth pebbles, is it possible that he could have got trapped and drowned,I am considering whether to get another or not?I am going to empty and clean the tank,will it be ok to fill with water from my other (very healthy)tank and run with a bag of gravel for a while, or will i have to re cycle again,?
Old 07-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about your fish!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:35 PM   #6 
BlueHaven

Is it possible you could have picked a betta that was already sick or not in the best of health? Or that someone could be messing with him? Maybe it's just stress if there is a lot of noise or commotion going on around them.
I'm sorry that happened...
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #7 
frogipoi

Sorry
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:54 AM   #8 
sharon

thank you all, no, we are an household of adults, no one messes, i had him for around 6 months, on his own, guess I,l try again !