Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #1 
Saroar

Lightbulb The Plan! Also, shopping list.

I'm planning on getting a betta soon and have been doing tons of research. I have composed a list of items that I need and already have. I am very open to suggestions and opinions.

Here's what I already have:

- .8 gallon vase (This is ONLY to hold the fish while i'm doing the 100% water changes)

- Bamboo twisty plant thing (I'm a little nervous about using it because I read it can cloud up the water)

- Some blue smooth rocks

Here's what I plan on purchasing:

- A 2 or 2.5 gallon tank (Any reccomendations?)

- A heating device of some sort (Would a lamp or actually heater be best? I would love a reccomendation of a certain heater)

- Food (Pellots and maybe bloodworms)

- Possibly gravel

- Another plant and/or a cool cave or something.

- Water conditioner (Suggestions, please)

- The betta, of course. :)

I plan on making my own background.

Does this sound like a good plan to you? Should I get a filter? I want to do this right. Like I said, i'm up for suggestions, reccomendations, and opinions. Thank you!

Also, how much do you think all of this will cost? I need to know how much money to take with me.
Saroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #2 
Saroar

I forgot to metion that I plan on getting a thermometer as well!
Also, which type of thermometer is more accurate: the kind that go inside or outside of the tank?
Old 07-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #3 
kuklachica

- .8 gallon vase (This is ONLY to hold the fish while i'm doing the 100% water changes)

- Bamboo twisty plant thing (I'm a little nervous about using it because I read it can cloud up the water)

-These do cloud up the water. You can only really submerge the base where the roots are. Other parts will rot and foul up the water (just like old flowers in a vase).

- Some blue smooth rocks

-Make sure when you rinse these that no blue comes off. Some of the cheaper types (like from the $ store) have a colored coating that can color the water and is toxic to the fish.

Here's what I plan on purchasing:

- A 2 or 2.5 gallon tank (Any reccomendations?)

The bigger the better. Walmart has a great 5.5 gallon kit that comes with the filter, hood and light for $30. This is incredibly cheap since you'd find 1.5 gallon for about $25 at Petco/Petsmart type places. It's not as big as it sounds. Plus, if you decided down the road that you wanted another fish, you could divide it and have one on each side without getting a whole other set up.

- A heating device of some sort (Would a lamp or actually heater be best? I would love a reccomendation of a certain heater)

Heat. Don't use a light to heat it. Lights can stress them out if they're on too much, and you'd have to leave it on 24 hours a day to maintain a stable temp. Plus it would create tons of algae. Yuck. Definitely go with a heater.

- Food (Pellots and maybe bloodworms)

Pellets. I HIGHLY recommend New Life Spectrum which you can get at petco. I had my guys on the cheaper stuff and they got bloated and just didn't look great. Changed to NLS and no more bloating and they are visibly much happier and healthier.

- Possibly gravel

I'd definitely go with gravel if you have a 2.5 gallon or larger. This way you can cycle the tank and won't have to worry about doing 100% water changes. Gravel helps harbor the good bacteria that breaks down the ammonia into nitrate.

- Another plant and/or a cool cave or something.

I'd go with silk. Plastic tears their fins (their fins are the consistency of wet tissue paper). Also, any hideys you may get, make sure your thumb can fit through all of the holes, or they will get stuck.

I'd recommend Prime. More expensive than others, but only need to use two drops per gallon, so it lasts longer. It's one of the best out there. It smells like poop though (contains sulfur), so don't be surprised.

- The betta, of course. :)

They can be anywhere from $3ish to $15ish. I'd research what tail type you like, and then if it's anything other than a veil tail or crowntail, you'll probably need to go to Petco to get it (they carry all types of tails).

I plan on making my own background.

Does this sound like a good plan to you? Should I get a filter? I want to do this right. Like I said, i'm up for suggestions, reccomendations, and opinions. Thank you!

If your tank is 2.5 gallons or more, I'd recommend getting a filter and cycling it.

Also, how much do you think all of this will cost? I need to know how much money to take with me.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #4 
KBoone

I wouldn't use the bamboo. They like a lot of moirsture, but they are NOT aquatic plants. There is some nice "fake" bamboo out there if you really want to use it.

2.5 is nice. Petsmart has one that is actually a tank. They're like $13.00. Two of mine are in them. Actually, if you go now. They're on sale for 11. You can also get a pretty sizeable Kritter Keeper for about the same price. I have two of mine in these. One is right around 2.5 and the other is dang near 5.

A heater is always reccomended. You can get a smaller one (25 watt) that just maintains the temp at 78 or, if you're willing to look, you can find an adjustable heater.

A filter is also good. Whisper makes a nice one for smallish set-ups. It's only $10.00. I use them in all my smaller tank. They aren't adjustable, but the flow is such that it's really a non-issue.
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #5 
kuklachica

Thermometers that go inside, not the stickers on the outside, are MUCH more accurate.

Forgot to mention that I'd plan on $75 if you are getting the Walmart kit. The heater will be anywhere from $15-25 depending on the brand. I bought this heater from this seller before. GREAT heater, no problems, and it's adjustable which is good in case your fish ever gets sick. Plus, even with shipping, it's cheaper than in the store for the same wattage (I work at one of the chain pet stores and our best cheapest one is $19.99 but it is not adjustable).
Old 07-29-2010, 05:05 PM   #6 
KBoone

LOL Kuklachica, what IS your best cheapest one??? I got one yesterday, but incredibly nervous about using it. Read a couple of reviews where it overheated. oO Mind you, it was a couple out of like 50 other great ones. I'm just paranoid.
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #7 
kuklachica

sHa, I think it is a tetra brand 2-10 gallons?? can't remember off the top of my head though. I bought the same one at Walmart before I started working at the store and haven't had a problem with it. I only use it for quarantining new guys, though.

EDIT: I'd go check out Petco though if I were you. I got a 2.5 gallon mini-bow on clearance the other day. Comes with light, hood, and filter. Usually $44.99, down to $10 on clearance!! Also, I think they're having a display tank clearance. All the display tanks were on sale at my store this week.

Last edited by kuklachica; 07-29-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #8 
RandomFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saroar View Post
I'm planning on getting a betta soon and have been doing tons of research. I have composed a list of items that I need and already have. I am very open to suggestions and opinions.

- Some blue smooth rocks
If it's a real bamboo, be sure to keep only the stem in the water. The leaves will rot when immersed and pollute the water.

Quote:
I'd recommend a 25-watt Hydor Theo.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-T11702-T...0440806&sr=8-1

Quote:
Seachem Prime

It's the only conditioner I know of that can break down chloramines.

Quote:

Personally, I wouldn't bother getting a filter if I'm getting a 2-gallon, because it will need frequent 100% water changes.

I'd say you need about $70 for the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saroar View Post
I forgot to metion that I plan on getting a thermometer as well!
Also, which type of thermometer is more accurate: the kind that go inside or outside of the tank?
Definitely the ones that go inside the tank. I once bought the kind that sticks to the outside of the tank and it didn't work at all....waste of money.
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:34 PM   #9 
Saroar

Thank you guys SO much. :)
This will make my whole shopping experience easier and less stressful.

I've had the bamboo for about a week now and it hasn't made the water look gross. The leaves aren't in the water, either. It actually loooks very healthy. It has more leaves shotting up and everything. I got it from Petsmart. I'll probably be going back there for everything else. Maybe Petco.