Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #1 
Welsh

Rock Caves

I have seen a lot of rock caves on here lately and I was wondering, do you guys actually make them yourselves? lol I tried to make a cave with rocks but it turned in to a bridge lol I would really like to have a cave in my 8 gallon and 12 but don't know how to make one lol
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:54 PM   #2 
MoePaac

I've made my own rock cave before. I used landscaping rock that I washed really well, and a bit of broken terra cotta pot. I didn't like how big the terra cotta pot was, so I broke it, sanded the sharp edges and then piled rocks around it. Once I got a design I liked, I glued it all together with aquarium safe silicone.

Things to consider: Use more silicone rather than less. I used just a little bit and it eventually fell apart with rough handling. Also, make sure you let it cure (dry) for at least 24 hours. I really liked mine and may make another for my small tank.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...s/IMG_0458.jpg Here's a picture of the one I made. Really it's just gluing a couple together to make a base, then build on top of it. Just be aware it's not something you can make all at once. Wait for some to dry so it will support others.

I also attached some Java Fern to it... really made it look nice!

Last edited by MoePaac; 07-29-2010 at 05:56 PM.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #3 
Welsh

Did you buy the rocks or did you get them yourself whilst walking the dog or something lol
Old 07-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #4 
Sicklidae

I just took a rather flat rock, and propped it up with another rock, so now it makes like a little cave. Aegir likes to go in it.
Sicklidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #5 
MoePaac

Mine were left over from our outdoor pond. I'm sure you can use rocks from outside. Just make sure they are cleaned really well and tested with vinegar. If it sizzles, or bubbles or anything with vinegar... it's a no go. Look for very hard, non porous rocks. Also avoid rocks that dissolve in water such as limestone.

Or as Sicklidae did, take flat rocks and create a little cave. I think combining that with smaller rounder rocks would be nice.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:44 PM   #6 
sjones

I've recently got into breaking terracotta pots in non traditional betta friendly ways, like I managed to break one into a rounded half and stand it on its' end, sand down the edges and viola, or punch a hole in the side, much more entertainng for the bettas who used to just ignore the whole ones, I think they like to swim through them, like arches
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #7 
Welsh

Thanks for the help guys I'm not very creative when it comes to designing stuff so the outcome should be interesting haha