Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2010, 02:29 AM   #1 
LMac54

Cycling blues... Ammonia hasn't dropped

So my 10 gal has been cycling for more than a month now. Been using pure ammonia as my ammonia source.

Had my Ammonia spike. Had my NitrIte spike. Had my nitrAte spike. Ammonia and NitrIte both dropped down to .25, then NitrIte went down to 0.... BUT now the Ammonia has been at .25 for at least a week now!!

So, my levels right now are NitrAte at 150, NitrIte at 0, and Ammonia at .25. It's been at that for a at least a week now.

Is that normal? I feel like I've been waiting FOREVER for this dang tank to cycle, but I want it to be safe for my fishies. When will my Ammonia drop?? Why did the NitrIte drop to 0 before the Ammonia??

LMac54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:36 AM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMac54 View Post
So my 10 gal has been cycling for more than a month now. Been using pure ammonia as my ammonia source.

Had my Ammonia spike. Had my NitrIte spike. Had my nitrAte spike. Ammonia and NitrIte both dropped down to .25, then NitrIte went down to 0.... BUT now the Ammonia has been at .25 for at least a week now!!

So, my levels right now are NitrAte at 150, NitrIte at 0, and Ammonia at .25. It's been at that for a at least a week now.

Is that normal? I feel like I've been waiting FOREVER for this dang tank to cycle, but I want it to be safe for my fishies. When will my Ammonia drop?? Why did the NitrIte drop to 0 before the Ammonia??

Wow I've never heard of this! I hope you get an answer! If this happens to me I'll need to know!

Your betta is SO cool looking! =] Love his color and markings! <3
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:50 AM   #3 
Mizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMac54 View Post

Perhaps your tap water contains NH4? have you tested this? I've never had it take this long to cycle an aquarium
Mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:01 AM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

That makes a lot of sense. I've heard some tap water can contain ammonia.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:06 AM   #5 
LMac54

But I used water conditioner when I first added water to the tank whenever I needed to top it off.

Should I drop conditioner directly into the tank to make the ammonia go away? Or would that kill my good bacteria?
Old 07-29-2010, 03:37 AM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

Is it water conditioner that specifically gets rid of ammonia? Does it say so on the bottle?
Old 07-29-2010, 04:00 AM   #7 
kuklachica

this happened to me. What conditioner are you using? I use prime and it gives me a false reading of .25.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #8 
LMac54

I use deClor and API's Stress Coat. Stress Coat removes ammonia.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #9 
wallywestisthebest333

Hey! =] I found something! Someone linked to a Dr.Tim's nitrifying bacteria page and when I read it I found this near the bottom:

"The other big problem is that the cycling process seems to stall with ammonia or nitrite not dropping anymore. Usually this is due to a low pH value (less than 7.0). The conversion of the ammonia and nitrite by the bacteria naturally produces an acid that will lower the water pH. If the pH gets too low, however, the nitrification (cycling) process will stop. So if you add a lot of ammonia over the course of a week and get the cycling cranking you can actually cause the pH to drop to a low value and 'stall' the entire process. The way to get the cycling going again is to simply do a 25 to 20% water change. This will increase the pH and usually gets the cycling process going again.

Lastly, do not add ammonia-removing products as this just complicates the process - let nature take its course and your tank will be ready for fish."

Hope this helps and works! =]
Old 07-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #10 
LMac54

Thing is, my pH is actually really high. It's been at 7.6 forever.